Ignore Resist vs. Weaken & Effective Guide by Mid (as of Patch 2.5)

Not directly related to this thread of topics, but what do you use as your primary damage type?
I’m currently using ice on my orb wizard since he’s utilizing frozen for a higher chance that the elemental crit will be ice type and trigger frozen. Yes I know that the primary type can be of different element and still trigger frozen due to prismatic, but it’ll happen less often.
I’m using Shock on my warrior that plays with the mags to stack up the damage taken debuff (doesn’t require crit).

There should be no chance. Weaken is supposed to apply all the time. Will report bug.

Effective does not affect resistance. It gives a bonus 25% boost. If the enemy is immune to its own weakness, then 0*1.25=0.

I suggest looking up my posts on effective.

4 Likes

Ok thanks for the answer. I always thought weaken always applys even though it used to say change in the description. At least I know now for sure that it applys all the time. :sassyparrot: :smile: :wink: . I mean it no longer says chance in the description of weaken and the fact that weaken applys all the time makes sense given the description changes.

Well I’m even more proud of the 90% weaken or 20% weaken in PvP.

As stated, it is currently bugged. :frowning:

1 Like

No it does not effect the resistance (it changes the element to the usual weakness), but the usual weakness does! Therefore, Effective does not increase the damage by 25% - that is definitely wrong!

If it would work like that, my observations would have been different.

This is exactly what happens. The interaction with Weaken is consistent with -25% monster resistance. Otherwise the damage values would be different with Weaken+Effective together.

600*1.25 would be 750, not 904.

Edit: although I still don’t know what happens if the “weak” resistance gets resistance because it is an epic monster.

Oh, and while you’re at reporting bugs :relaxed::

Equality is bugged somehow, and Skilled Mythic does not show in the damage screen.

You don’t seem to understand me. Effective (The mechanic) IS just a 1.25x boost. The Effective Mythic Affix changes your element to whatever one that will give you this boost. The affix does not affect resist at all. Play an Ice Map with 100% Immune, look for a Fire Fury and hit it with Effective. You will see that you deal no damage. Then compare the damage of Ignore Resist and Ignore Resist + Effective against that monster. I recommend using something like Iceburn Set to reduce the default +/-25% DMG variance.

Weaken is bugged atm so I will have to look at it in more detail.

I will look into equality later but as seen in the dictionary, Skilled only works with MH skills. The other descriptions failed to update with the dictionary (game engine is old and you need to update everything manually).

Edit: Also Skilled is intended to not show up in the stat page since it changes depending on the situation (Discordance).

Hmm i didn’t understand at all…
So what do you prefer effective, weakened or ignore resist? Im currently at floor 1500+

Okay, I got Skilled/Equality then, thank you :slight_smile: must have overread Equality’s description in the dictionary.

But still, Effective gives you a 25% boost if you don’t use Weaken, Ignore Resist, you use a different element than the monster’s weakness (otherwise damage would be the same) and it has no resistances on its weakness.

That is a lot of ifs. Of course I know Effective does not change the resistances of the monster. But the damage increase with Effective works through the monster’s resistances.

The plain 25% boost you talk about is fairly correct, because with Ignore Resist, Effective doesn’t increase the damage. With Weaken, it didn’t increase the damage by 25%, but far more. If the description is indeed correct and it just changes the attack’s element upon damage calculation, it all depends on the resistances of the monster.
And the monster’s weakness must be realized via its resistance, why else would Effective show no effect on my damage if the monster has resistances against its weakness?
I don’t see Effective working with Ignore Resist, and I see Effective adding >50% damage on top of Weaken (of course again, depending on the resistance setting).
If I’m wrong with my conclusions, the damage calculation would be heavily bugged or very very complicated, in an uncomprehensive way.

On that matter, if a monster is immune, does it have 100% resistance? Can that be reduced to 10% resistance with Weaken? And, is 100% the maximum resistance or could it be higher internally, say 150%?

Effective + Weaken, if indeed the immunity of monsters can be broken by Weaken.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Watch vid below. The monster has Greatly Resist Ice.

1 Like

Cool video :smile: . Thanks. Also how did you record this. Was this Google play recording or AZ screen recorder. I wonder how you get profile pic on that bubble. I get my face but not my profile pic. I can easily cover up bubble though with the games icon.

I used youtube gaming. You just need to disable the camera and it will allow you to put a profile pic.

1 Like

i wonder. if i have effective and i prioritize plagued set affix, changing my poison damage to something else, would the elemental crit still be poison cloud? or is it still poison cloud with a different element? or would plagued set be still affecting my damage?

Effective changes your element during DMG calculations only. Your Poison weapon will still do Poison Cloud as Ele Crit but it will do Ice DMG to Fire monsters.

1 Like

Once I find time, I will answer to this. Currently very busy with work/private life… So when I have ~2h or so I’ll probably make a video too.

2 Likes

Hi @Clogon, @Midlumer, or anybody -

Do we have “rank” of importance for getting: Ignore Resist, Weaken (by at least ???%), Effective?

So puzzled on which to have :disappointed_relieved:

There is no Rank. Each of them provides something different.

Weaken can provide bonus DMG if you stack enough.
Ignore Resist makes you deal the same damage regardless of the Monster’s resist.
Effective is basically 1.25x DMG assuming the monsters don’t resist their own weakness.

It all depends on your build and whatever you are farming.

1 Like

Okay once again, Effective does not work with Ignore Resist and is not an 25% increase in damage :yum: watch the video below:

I finally found time to make the video :wink:

2 Likes

On Wizard, if I have say prismatic/ascended/elements or any element changer while effective mythic is equipped. will Amplify talent be useless? since the only debuff that would work is the effective element against mobs

1. You are comparing a Poison Monster that Greatly resists Poison while using Poison Attack. Then using an attack that it does not resist. Of course the DMG will be greater than 1.25x. You are bypassing all that reduction by changing your element. <.< That means you deal 12.5% then changing to something that deals 125% so, naturally, you will see a 10x damage difference…

2. You are using a DOT to compare DMGs while pausing in between to change items. I am not 100% on how DOT mechanics work in PVE but I do know that switching equipent can while effects are going on can cause a lot of bugs.

As you can see in my video, effective + ignore resist is 1.25x your NORMAL attack DMG. I will have to look into the DoT mechanics when I get a chance.

Edit:
Didn’t realise I posted before I compiled everything. :confused:

Edit2: Sorry, I forgot to say thank you very much for the Vid! I know you are a busy guy and it will greatly help the devs find out what goes wrong to DoT’s when you change equipents.

2 Likes

You are welcome :slight_smile: here my 2nd video:

The last sentence of course references my first post, it’s not in the video. Of course if you attack with your normal attack (and the monster has no resistance against your normal attack) and put on Effective (and the monster has no resistance against it’s usual weakness) you get an increase of 25% in damage (I sincerely believe that the monster has -25% resistance in that case).
But in all other cases, you get varying damage values, depending on the monster’s resistance.

The only bug related thing to changing equipment I witnessed there is that DoT stops if you put on Ignore Resist. But just to be sure, I compiled 10 damage values without changing any equipment during the process (just once to take off the Effective Ring between the two runs):

As you can see, there is virtually no difference; Ignore Resist cancels the effect on damage of Effective, since the monster’s resistances are being ignored.

Edit:

In your video you have Druidic and HP Regen. Isn’t Ice also a DoT in a way? Because then you increase your damage with Druidic :neutral_face: (Strength and Intelligence would then also add damage, if you have points in those).

1 Like