Ignore Resist vs. Weaken & Effective Guide by Mid (as of Patch 2.5)

Ahh, I see. Thanks

this theory hasnt been explored thoroughly. when you equip effective mythic, you will never proc any elemental critical. as i was told that having effective with poison cloud will proc a poison cloud varying elements. but being the case, having effective will remove your ability to proc elemental critical. i dunno if its intended or a bug

Effective removing ability to elemental crit is definitely a bug. You should be able to elemental crit with effective mythic.

Also I don’t know but would effective or high weaken work on enemies immune to frozen, poison, etc. I know ignore resist works against them very well . Also even then, my high frozen dmg kills enemies immune easily and the general billions of dmg and crushing blow.

having 2x weaken obsidian affix will make it add up having 180% resist weaken in total. not the chance to cast. therefore having 180%weaken amplifies your damage no matter if its effective against the mob or not. having said that, i havent observed how it behaves towards mobs where my element would be effective. i’m guessing it will just be as effective regardless of resist

Well I don’t know exactly what you’re telling me here. I tested it thoroughly, and it is how I described it. So did you test that you don’t ECrit with Effective? Or do you just think you won’t ECrit?

i was told effective will proc elemental crit with a different element, or element prior to what will be effective to the mob. just spent an entire day building a set for this, and got disappointed. i’m talking about 50+obsidians, 200+rubies, amethysts and more. to no avail that it would be effective

Sorry to hear that, who told you this? Effective changes the element only upon damage calculation, I didn’t check it but I’m pretty sure that freeze/cloud/paralysis etc. work normally and only when the damage is applied it’ll be changed to another element.

Remember: Always test. There is a lot of false/contradicting info wandering around this forum - if you want to know if something works test it in small, on low floors.

1 Like

Yup. That’s a very good point. Making sure that everyone learns very well. Cronos creating that question thread was a good thing after all because like me and many people, he asked many questions before creating high quality builds. Always asking questions and finding out what’s right and wrong creates a very great player. Anyone can do it.

2 Likes

followed this

What part of what Clogon wrote is wrong now?

Saying poison cloud will proc but with different element. Effective will remove your ability to do elemental crit

When I find time I’ll have a look into this.

Please refer to the new (correct) guide:

1 Like

Has this been changed in 3.0?

How does these 3 affect PvP? - Nvm, found this info

Ignore resist is much better

depends on the build. I have used Ignore Resist and Weaken on different builds. the good thing about IR is that it only takes up 1 space on your build. Weaken, if you want it to work well, needs 2 spaces minimum to be on 100% all the time, a 90% Crystal Weaken and 30% Epic Weaken or the Myth Stone that does 30% Weaken. the other good thing about Weaken, is when it is over 100%, it starts causing negative resistance to the enemy, so extra damage. so IR is good for builds with limited space for everything, and Weaken is good for builds built around it that want the extra damage.

1 Like

x1 Critical Chance
x2 Critical Damage
x2 Crusging Blow
x1 Deadly Strike

if you are going to use effective + weaken you need to 2 weaken crystal affix. meaning to say you need remove 2 of these affixes. but if you choose ignore resist you don’t need to remove any of those affixes.

Yep. Very true. It can even cause negative resists at 90% weaken which is 90% of the time, quite common but 100% guarentees it and even more dmg. Makes immune enemies not immune and non immune enemies more vulnerable to dmg. 200% weaken is even better bur requires more slots.

Ascendant is a good set affix to go with weaken though for extra reduce resists as it can stack and the hirling debuffs work with it. I did try hirling wrath + weaken to try and buff characters which seemingly works but i doubt it actually works since i remember it was mentioned that it shouldn’t work, unless thats changed or im seeing placebo because my builds already too powerful for the floors i go to.

1 Like

An off-topic (i think) question. If I pick ascendant + weaken. Will the elemental crit be based on the weapon’s element or will it proc other elements as well and still apply that element’s debuff on top of weaken?

Epic Elemental Crit: Toxic, Orbit, Paralyze, Immolate, Freeze, only work for the Element they are for. so Fire & Immolate on Chest and Ice MH means no Immolate or Freeze.

with Wizard Prismatic or Ascendant Set, same problem. but if your Chest is Fire & Immolate and the MH is Fire also, then any attack that the Element is changed to with Prismatic or Ascendant will be considered to have the correct Elemental Crit. just remember that if your Chest is Fire & Immolate, MH Fire, & OH is Ice, even if an attack from OH is changed to Fire, no Elemental Crit since the base Element of the OH is Ice and not Fire.

Wizard Wizardry Talent & Legend Elemental Crit are Multi Elemental Crit, so in the above where the MH & OH are different Elements, they would both Elemental Crit. space wise, Legend Elemetal Crit is +30%, and the Epic EC’s are +15%, so 1 space of the Legend EC would require 4x Epic EC’s (2 for each Weapon if different Elements) to get the +30% for each Weapon.

Weaken has nothing to do directly with Elemental Crits. it just makes a monsters resistance to Elemental attacks less effective, and even deadly to the monster if you go over 100% Weaken.

take a look at Mid’s Weaken & Effective & Ignore Resist Guide 3.0, it has better info on Weaken.

using Prismatic & Ascendant doesn’t take away from an Elements DoT (Damage/Debuff over Time), it’s just that if you do the build wrong, might not get the Elemental Crit.

2 Likes