[Opinion wanted] Mythics don't interest you? Help us improve

As the title, the fact is that mythics don’t attract people’s attention as intended. So why don’t you guys help us name those mythics that bored you, and how it should to be more interesting.

Feel free to give your opinions in this thread :smile:

I think the biggest problem is giving up 4 slots and 4 mythstones to make a mythic which is not truly understood.

I created a mythic of Arc on an axe. Then I found the combination of Spell Sword and Living Force. Arc seems to be overridden by this combo. So, I now have 4 sockets being used by mythstones that aren’t what I’d prefer to have in those slots, just to create a mythic that is now seemingly useless.

Just imagine if the combo of Spell Sword and Living Force was stacked onto by Arc. That’d be awesome; it just doesn’t work that way.

Maybe the fact that mythics delete or override the original talent of items. Example, i use chakrams so i definetely need the talent blindside, if i make a ring the talent will change right, why not just add the mythic talent, having to talents in 1 ring will be nice. Same goes wiith other gears.

+1

Mythics just don’t have enough benefits to justify replacing 4 slots of affixes and the talent.

To name ones I don’t use, is to say all mythics.

Evolution or Extinxtion

Ryim 99 Rogue
RyimScaith 81 Warrior
Rym 61 Wizard
Riym 58 Rogue

Once the four MS are in place, have them be “consumed” to permanently change the original Skill/Talent to the new Mythic one, and empty the sockets and let us use the affix slots again. It still requires alot of work to find or make the four socket item, and it still costs the MS’s. Shy of something along those lines, they are just fun novelties to me.

+1 @ rubik…

Id love to see mythics change to be an extra talent. I use a few mythics daily between my toons (cyclone, hunter and sureshot), but giving up the talent can be harsh.

I think if you had a char with 6 mythics equipped vs another build with 6 legends, even without obsidians, the mythics would lose every time.

[quote=“ryimscaith”]+1

Mythics just don’t have enough benefits to justify replacing 4 slots of affixes and the talent.

To name ones I don’t use, is to say all mythics. [/quote]

+1 on this

4 slot is way way much, in addition… over riding some talent would not compensate for the lost talent…
its a shame though…

the only mythics i find useful was brutal, hunter, effective, cyclone, earthquake, bombard, nova…

some mythics support the summoner build…
but haven’t seen a brave soul try to build one… :laughing:

so yeah…
pretty much useless mythstone for me is…

pierce chance +2 (seriously… who would even try to put this on)
mana absorb (permafrost with +4 set affix would easily make you reach the cap)

I think mythics can be unique items, dropped by mobs. Example Chance 1/5000

(I am not good at english bro!)

I actually hit Steiger up with this idea at Paxsouth.

I’ve used them for individual traits, but am still to new to the game to understand the plus or minuses. I’ve made a couple, and will complete the list but that’s mostly for the sake of completing the list.

I’ve used them for individual traits, but am still to new to the game to understand the plus or minuses. I’ve made a couple, and will complete the list but that’s mostly for the sake of completing the list.[/quote]

You did! I’m definitely leaning towards this method, though part of me still wants to just properly balance the Mythic Talents and Skills so they are all desirable.

The consideration when creating Mythics was that they would take up 4 affix slots, so the originally tuning was meant to meet the power of a rank 40 skill or talent ( which you would need up to 4 affix slots to reach i.e. +Whirlind 5 x 4 + Hero Skills ).

If we make it so that the affix slots are consumed, will have to make sure the Mythic Talents and Skills are then tuned down ( in a lot of cases ).

That’s a good reason.

I’ve used them for individual traits, but am still to new to the game to understand the plus or minuses. I’ve made a couple, and will complete the list but that’s mostly for the sake of completing the list.[/quote]

You did! I’m definitely leaning towards this method, though part of me still wants to just properly balance the Mythic Talents and Skills so they are all desirable.

The consideration when creating Mythics was that they would take up 4 affix slots, so the originally tuning was meant to meet the power of a rank 40 skill or talent ( which you would need up to 4 affix slots to reach i.e. +Whirlind 5 x 4 + Hero Skills ).

If we make it so that the affix slots are consumed, will have to make sure the Mythic Talents and Skills are then tuned down ( in a lot of cases ).[/quote]
I understand that part, and it makes complete sense to me on non weapon items. But when you take away the four slots to a weapon, you are eliminating four spots for affixes that were available only on a weapon. And to me at least, those are four very important affixes. (+Weapon Damage % affix and MS, and +Weapon Damage)
If they were able to be put on other items (possible splitting it into two separate affixes for each to specify main or offhand weapon only so it doesn’t buff both) then that could ease some of the pain.

I feel that the gist of mythic items are fairly sound, but could use some improvements depending on the type.

Here’s a snazzy little list.

MH Mythics: have the mythic ability be a 20-30% proc instead of replacing the secondary spell, possibly amplify the effect to maintain balance.
OH Mythics: Replace the first spell with the mythic ability instead of the second.

Also, allow items to retain mythic skills after the set is complete so a player can remove unwanted stones/sockets. Their are lots of great Mythics available, but sacrificing 2/3 affix slots for stats that don’t fit a players build is discouraging a lot of people from taking advantage of this system.

The problems with the mythics are:
-they destroy the build by replacing the talent and use too much slots.
-they destroy the build because they take away a signature skill.

The first problem can be addressed by creating a new tier of stone, which grants the mythic skill, and half the effects of the original stones. Such stones must be crafted, maybe by creating a mythic item and then applying something to transform the item into a stone. It will be costly, but very rewarding.

The second problem can be addressed by creating different mythic applications. We have two types of special skills, the fast cooldown skills and the slow cooldown skills. Some skills define the build, like timewarp or command, therefore replacing them is undesirable. For the fast ones, a mythics skill may be an added effect (example: nova is added as a 100%, proc when OH is fired). For the slow ones, they could be replaced by the mythic, and the old special could be available when the mythic is cooling down or viceversa. For armors is even easier, just add the mythic talent without removing the regular one.

[quote=“zzvilzz”]As the title, the fact is that mythics don’t attract people’s attention as intended. So why don’t you guys help us name those mythics that bored you, and how it should to be more interesting.

Feel free to give your opinions in this thread :smile:[/quote]
Well, the very first thing I’d say on Mythic equipment is that, for casual (specifically players that will never check the forums here) players they have to spend who knows how many mythstones to learn how to make one of the mythic items, then they have to spend (scores of) hours to get the mythstones to create it.

Then, even after knowing the list, there’s not having the necessary wide selection of mythstones available. And/or not having enough of the very-high-rarity mythstones to create the Mythic items. Mythstones are far rarer than crystals, by a long shot. I’m close to completing the “Find Crystals” feat for the third time while nearing completion of the “Find Mythstones” for the second. (Note: This ranges from 1.7 to 1.7.1 and to 1.8.)

Tacked onto all that is not knowing whether the entirety of the opportunity cost is worth it for the end product. Mythic items have special effects and abilities, but there’s no other way to see how they play out with a particular play style than to actually craft and use it. And to create a mythic item, the player has to have the right piece of equipment with at least four sockets on it.

I think I would rather the four required mythstones be transformed into the mythic item, carry the former mythstone effects as affixes, and have two sockets for the total of six affix spaces. That would continue with keeping the item’s versatility very much alive, continuing the pattern of all the other equipment.

[quote=“newb_player”]
pierce chance +2 (seriously… who would even try to put this on)
mana absorb (permafrost with +4 set affix would easily make you reach the cap)[/quote]

Pierce chance is pretty useful for a pistol rogue with lots of multishot, actually. Without that, it can be hard to get past leeching/healing mobs on high carto levels.

Aside from the other suggestions about making Mythics actually usable (instead of seriously underpowered compared to legend or crystal items), I’d like to make another suggestion. The idea of having recipes for the mythic items made for a fun game for the first week of 1.7, but then it became public knowledge, and the discovery challenge went away. What about having the mythic recipes be generated differently for each player? That way, crafting mythics will really be an end-game thing, for people who want to sink a bunch of time into the game or who are looking for full completeness.

Besides being so damn slow, that would create serious imbalance. I l have a bombard recipe composed only of good runes, or another with pretty bad ones. They way it is now at least allows to factorize the stones effects into the build.

[quote=“McEna”]
Besides being so damn slow, that would create serious imbalance. I l have a bombard recipe composed only of good runes, or another with pretty bad ones. They way it is now at least allows to factorize the stones effects into the build.[/quote]

That’s apparently the point – the devs want to slow game progression for players significantly, and all of the mythic recipes were available online within a week of releasing them. You could easily fix the imbalance issue by making it so that the randomizing function takes into account the rarities of the runes (i.e. one that’s generated as requiring a Zenith also uses a Hero and Mentor, for instance).

The current recipes factor the stones’ effects into the build?! Why would Skilled, then, which enhances primary skills, contain a clearcast? Or Unity contains a Weaken? And obviously the off-hand Enigma should use a +4 Skills…

[quote=“Richard Jonnes”][quote=“McEna”]
Besides being so damn slow, that would create serious imbalance. I l have a bombard recipe composed only of good runes, or another with pretty bad ones. They way it is now at least allows to factorize the stones effects into the build.[/quote]

That’s apparently the point – the devs want to slow game progression for players significantly, and all of the mythic recipes were available online within a week of releasing them. You could easily fix the imbalance issue by making it so that the randomizing function takes into account the rarities of the runes (i.e. one that’s generated as requiring a Zenith also uses a Hero and Mentor, for instance).

The current recipes factor the stones’ effects into the build?! Why would Skilled, then, which enhances primary skills, contain a clearcast? Or Unity contains a Weaken? And obviously the off-hand Enigma should use a +4 Skills…[/quote]
Knowing the recipe allows US to factorize the effects onto our builds. Since I know a certain mythic contains mp leech, I can discard such affix in other parts of the gear. If I use a lot of procs, I’ll take mythics with master, and so on. Obviously some stones don’t fit certain builds at all, but the way you propose would make it even worse. Return, for example, is useless to anybody using permafrost… In other words, almost every wizard. Pierce is useless to all comet users… And spellsword is quite popular. Weaken is nonsensical into the effective mythic, etc. And without a way to reset the recipe, the player would need to create a new toon and discover the mythic, a sure recipe to never use mythics again.