Solved - "Hidden" Critical Damage

Oh cmon I just teased u abit no harm done. And how should I know dat, Iā€™m a new player. But Iā€™ll bet on:

1. 10sec
  2. 100% dmg
  3. Ofc, whtelse u think dat affix could do

Nope.

looks like thereā€™s a ā€œbaseā€ crut damage for every char too. Same as the ā€œbaseā€ 10% crit chance for every chars. Which are not included in the stat page as it only shows the ones you have in gears. That only makes sense, you cant have the same dmg when you crit, right? it should always be more.

Aight, all fine :yum: very much doubt that, bleed got nerfed in some patchā€¦ But it may be.

Sure it makes sense alright, but how much is the increase? Do I then simply add crit damage value to that base damage? The wording of the crit damage affix suggests otherwise :flushed:

Not very transparent this. Does somebody know?

There are a lot of mechanics occurring in the information you provided.

1. MH weapon level at 61 with quality -1% or 99%
  2. Character level 89.

However, that is not what you are after. There is a base critical chance for all characters at 10%. In the information you provided, I was able to calculate 24% critical chance (your stats page shows 38%). That doesnā€™t mater either. Based on my experience, an assumed critical strike is 50% more than the hit if you do not have any critical damage affixes. Notice your weapon damage. If I took 1.5x1996 I will calculate the max damage you delivered during your video 2994. Based on the information you submitted for review, the critical damage can range between 1796-2994 using quick attack in arcane element. You need to keep the weapon damage ranges mind. This is my observation and assumption regarding your question. Given assumptions above, I am not sure if deadly strike would deliver 100% more damage for a range of 2394-3992.

2 Likes

Yeah but that has no influence here.

Itā€™s because I have 2x 14% :wink:

It really is 50%, just made a longer test, a lot more values. Maximum damage comparison with screen damage is fine, but I like to do averages to prove it/double check; they are solid. Because if one has more affixes than me, one can easily miss a damage modifier like Skilled or so that does not appear in the screen damage.

Yeah thatā€™s still to be tested :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m not so sure either right now.

1 Like

Just did the test with 80 values:

• Crit damage is additive with the 50% base crit damage. 2.21 is close enough to 2.25 in my eyes :yum: if it were multiplicative, one would expect a value of 2.625.

Just answered my own questions :grinning: but this information might be useful for 'em damage calculators out there hehe^^

You are correct, that old post

from March '15 still holds (just tested it). Hmm thought they changed something in the meantime but I guess not then.

@Mr_Scooty Deadly Strike works as expected with the 50% base crit damage. Doubles everything.

1 Like

So TL;DR crit damage adds +50% dmg above a non-crit strike by default. Any Crit Dmg +% one has equipped essentially adds to this base 50%. Good to keep in mind :+1:

Yeah sounds legit. :grinning: :smile: :slight_smile: I tested warrior level 1 with 25% crit chance but 0% crit dmg and it does seem that crit dmg is usually 1.5Ɨ stronger or 50% base although it seemed random to me but 1.5Ɨ or 50% occured more often than not. For some reason, 6Ɨ death nature gives you 25% crit chance huh.

I think that means adding 140% in PvP to this base 50% turns it into 190% dmg or 1.5+1.4=Ɨ1.9 which does explain why whenever I crit, I seem to deal double or so damage with that rate with what I have tested. Whether itā€™s worth it in PvP is really up to you but I thought it was worth it due to the fact that my orbs hit 10 times a second, constant crit chance and enough deadly strike even though sacrifice HP as double dmg is usually powerful.

If you have 350% crit dmg added to 50% base, it would turn 50% into 400% crit dmg because crit dmg affix is additive or in other words 1.5+3.5= 5Ɨ dmg.

I mean it kinda makes sense due to having crit damage as a must in PvE and that crit dmg far surpasses normal values by a longshot in any build in PvE like itā€™s a huge must, like turning 200M to 1 billion which seems big or small but it does seem to make sense with what I actually observed. In frozen build where damage multiplied by frozen and frostbiting, it makes it even more powerful due to how those builds work and the crit dmg.

Of course it goes without saying that deadly strike is very powerful, especially with brutal affix.

1 Like

How about Frozen, what makes it do so much damage when the enemy explodes? I donā€™t get enough info from reading the description on Frozen but the damage boost is massive, even exploding 2 frozen enemies is enough dmg usually to one hit a Mythic whereas my normal attacks would take a good 1 minute of straight attacking to kill it

Yeah I know.

As I said, what makes frozen really strong isnā€™t just the description of the set affix but the combined frostbiting. Think about it like this, if you have 300% frostbiting , your attack is effectively 4Ɨ stronger . Then when your attack explodes with frozen, the dmg is multiplied by 1.25 but the explosion is also multiplied by 300% frostbiting and then if the frozen happens twice, this 300% boost happens 3 times .

For example you deal 1 billion dmg . This is multiplied by 4 so 4 billion dmg. Then the explosion happens so 4 billion Ɨ 1.25= 5 billion dmg. Then the explosion is effected by frostbiting as soon as it places frozen on other enemies so 5 billion Ɨ4 = 20 billion. This is if one explosion happens and 1 enemy but there are many variables because if multiples of enemies are frozen at the same time, technically many enemies effected by frostbiting can increase one explosion by a huge amount as well as the 1.25Ɨ dmg per enemies frozen.

One frozen explosion and multiple enemies frozen. About say 20. 1 billion increased by 300% frostbiting to 4 billion. Then the frozen explosion happens and if 20 enemies frozen , it means 1.25Ɨ20= Ɨ25 dmg. 4 billion dmg Ɨ25= 100B dmg. Then kicks in frostbiting or two. This could turn into 8 Trillion dmg or much much more. The crit dmg is constantly spiking up the frozen dmg to be honest as each frozen has a chance to trigger crit or no crit. If one frozen did crit, the other frozen may not do crit but it does innately more dmg than if 2 frozen exploded without any crit to happen. As well as that, these values get multiplied by frostbiting. Also if two frozen exploded with crit, both will be very high Dmg and very much spiked up by a huge amount.

If one frozen did deadly strike though, the next frozen will be 1.25Ɨ stronger or more than that previous deadly strike and it could continue a massive chain to easily get absurd numbers and as well as frostbiting. Also if enemies have stack debuff at first before the ice attack touches them, it make huge difference in dmg calculation of frozen which is essentially smart hirling play to deal extra dmg. Also Arcanist and Ascendant lifts it to absurd values too never seen before.

100B dmg Ɨ4= 400B dmg or because of multiples of enemies effected, technically it would be Ɨ4 about 20 times. Or 20 frostbiting kick in. Spike dmg due to frostbiting. Also crit chances/ deadly strikes can very much effect this value my a huge mile but this is assuming the 1B dmg is non crit as well as many explosions as an example. This is also why brutal mythic is extremely strong with frozen.
Also if deadly strikes or crits happen and even Arcanist+ Ascendant this can bump the values to a crazy insane dmg. Feels gud to deal quintillion dmg lol. Of course crushing blow does help sometimes.

Plagued used to proc toxic cloud multiple times when it wasnā€™t supposed to and it had inner crit dmg as well which made it all the more with absurd high Dmg. Think about this. If you dealt 1B dmg and you have 300% blight and effect 20 enemies, you essentially dealt 100B dmg. Crit dmg spikes many times if blight already spiked it up much and if toxic cloud proced twice, this could let you deal easy quintillion to numbers with 27 zeros back when green garden was broken. If you could spam coat at that time, toxic cloud could proc many many times and it also did that anyways along with the innate crit dmg constantly multiplying with deadly strike and crit dmg.

This is why it was so popular and also had numbers covering up the screen by 60% or 40%. It used to be far stronger than frozen but now theyā€™re about almost equal power and extremely powerful if combined correctly.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. What Iā€™ve come to realize - and please correct me or add - is that once you get to floor 1,000+ you basically have two choices for build themes, poison cloud or Frozen-based builds, for their multiplicatively-high damage and because they evaporate large swarms of enemies in a hurry. Would you agree or are there others?

Yeah I basically agree although frozen seems to be far better due to the nerfs to poison clouds but poison still works. Arcanist+ Ascendant makes it seriously powerful after all. Even without, they are still innately powerful.

You have 10% base crit chance :wink:

Plagued - Frozen - Arcanist/Ascendent are your options :wink: you may combine the latter with the two former as well.

I checked stat page when testing and it said 0% crit chance but I think it was meant to say 10% base as itā€™s always been 10% base crit chance. It explains why 45% crit chance turns into 55% often. In PvP, the base crit chance is probably not there or maybe it is but I donā€™t see it.

It is there :slight_smile:

Well I tried 11% crit chance and it seemed to very rarely work in PvP but if I added 20% crit chance, it often crit even if it goes way over 24% for some reason but thatā€™s if the 10% base crit chance is there.

Been playing this game for a year plus now and still feel like Iā€™m learning the basics lol

What I like about poison cloud is that it leaves remnant damage, allowing your character to fly through the level without stopping then just turn around and collect the loot. With Frozen itā€™s nice cause you explode lots of enemies but I think time wise it still takes a bit longer than poison to clear the floor cause youā€™re weaving in and out between enemies whereas poison you just hit them and they die even as youā€™re walking away

But as for the aforementioned 3 methods, I think itā€™s not a good thing that the game is so variable and you can build your gear so many different ways but then when it comes down to high floors youā€™re only left with 3 options for getting through themā€¦

Same here lmao. Even though I was personally taught by cronos a lot , I still feel like Iā€™m learning a lot of new things despite having the ability to think of crazy build ideas and unique ones. Well I had to learn a lot for PvP because I got back into it but I still feel like thereā€™s a lot more to learn in this game.

Even though there are 2 or 3 ways to clear high floor using plagued, frozen with Arcanist+Ascendant, you can still create a variety of builds that are unique despite such a limitation.

Despite that, I tried to achieve the fire shock thing because in theory, the bleed and fire could constantly multiply with high voltage but what I was missing is that to easily solve that problem, I could have used explosive affix, albeit 5% proc chance which if always triggering can spike up the dmg so much especially due to crits, high voltage and deadly strikes.

Of course this was before Arcanist existed . I could have had a build in full fire but still have the high voltage effect work due to the fact that high voltage works with any form of stun without always needing paralyze and since high voltage does buff each explosive if enemy stunned in a similar way how frozen explosion get buffed by frostbiting if enemy frozen and if each damage is spiked up like that, more bleed and fire. Inferno ticks very quick too to easily make it a brutal combo . High voltage on hirling doesnā€™t effect main character though otherwise every build would be op af then. Still , stack debuff ftw. I could see a fire shock recreation by Arcanist+ Ascendant but it would be redundant anyways.

Due to how explosive affix gets more damage as more explosions, this was an extremely useful concept when green garden used to be broken af in its inception as each explosion can deal more damage due to spike ups and this makes poison cloud deal 1Bxxxxxxx.xxxx filling screens easily by 60% or 40% if poison cloud wasnā€™t already broken at the time . Even if druidic is nerfed, Arcanist+Ascendant far surpasses druidic in damage buff anyways. Green garden if used with stun from talents and high voltage would have probably broken the limits of broken way back then if it had been discovered as well. Stack debuff obviously helped a lot.

Of course there is ice shock where main uses ice and hirling is stack debuff which is extremely powerful as well and another varient where you have frostbiting and high voltage where you stun with talents and get great damage even if itā€™s not recommended.

Iā€™m not sure but I used to think Ascendant can switch blight into high voltage or frostbiting which would have been op with Arcanist and the respective frozen or plagued but after testing , this is of course nowhere near the case but Arcanist still allows insane dmg due to the Arcanist effect. Stack debuff from Ascendant kinda helps though even if not by much but I doubt stack debuff can stack with Arcanist debuff.

How do you feel about the current PvP meta? I feel like itā€™s evolved exponentially even since this time last year in terms of skill level and, consequently, difficulty. At least within Eternal league. Maybe thatā€™s somewhat due to the training dummy which gives the average player many more analytical capabilities. I just think about grifā€™s punch me til you die build and wonder if it would fair nearly as well in the league as it did before, I think he was top 10 div 1 with it without even playing the character. But do you feel thereā€™s still room for build improvement within the meta or have the top players in the league pretty much got it down to a science now and itā€™s more about playing tons of matches than anything else since builds are becoming more and more homogenous?