[ask] damage reduction calculation

so I was on floor 400something, in defensive stat, my total damage reduction is 80% (100k HP, 100k Armor, 1500 all resist), could somebody explain why in the world still I die easily by a normal creeps?!?!? I can only manage to withstand 3 hits, and kaboom I’m dead.
is that what 80% damage reduction supposed to mean?
how do u guys manage to climb up to 1k floor?

EP8 is a lot harder that it used to be (previously 1300% creep hp, now 10000%). After 1.6, I switched back to doing EP5 for random maps (still do Ignis on EP8, though).

I guess the idea is that EP8 should be hardcore. My stats pale in comparison to the ones you’ve listed, and even I was able to do EP8 randoms before the change. It’s probably good that the difficulty was increased.

yes, the only thing I want to clarify is my opinion about ‘80%’ damage reduction is somehow meaningless, I don’t care about how hard the game is, but at least, don’t give players false hope to believe that his 80% damage reduction will do just fine.
I mean, if 80% dam reduction does nothing to withstand a single blow explosive orb carto, so does 100%.
I died, not even a single HP left when facing carto with orb.
this is not a complain, this is all about the number.

90% damage reduction is twice as effective as 80% (compare 20% damage coming through, vs. only 10%). In the same way, 95% is twice as effective as 90%, and 97.5% is twice as effective as 95%, etc. If 100% damage reduction were achievable, you would essentially have an infinite effective HP.

Specifically regarding explosion mines, there’s huge red flashing circle - fairly hard to miss, and you have plenty time to move out of the way. You shouldn’t be hit by these.

90% damage reduction is twice as effective as 80% (compare 20% damage coming through, vs. only 10%). In the same way, 95% is twice as effective as 90%, and 97.5% is twice as effective as 95%, etc. If 100% damage reduction were achievable, you would essentially have an infinite effective HP.

Specifically regarding explosion mines, there’s huge red flashing circle - fairly hard to miss, and you have plenty time to move out of the way. You shouldn’t be hit by these.[/quote]

lol, thats true now, but not before patch 1.5; then those type of enemies were nearly impossible to dodge.

so, simply said, if my HP is 100k and my dam reduction is 80%, and they still one-hit-kill me (let’s say 100k damage), it means that their real damage is 5 times bigger (500k) before the reduction?

Something like that yep, but I doubt they can hit you at 100k dmg :astonished:

unfortunately they can, carto or any magic/rare enemy with extra damage, can hit me for good, it make me have to use proc to leech all the time.
[emoji16]

is there a max cap for armor? im planning to make a max armor build

Never seen armor build in pve hiking. Better to use dodge or block with high damage . its up to you if you want high armor or resistant but in floor 1000 and above its useless

I saw the immortal. Headache post of phreak. With 146k armor you may be immortal :slight_smile: thank you phreak !

1 Like