CORRECT Whirlwind mechanics

Ok after reading all 26 pages of “whirlwind” results from the search engine I have some questions.

1. After Patch 1.5 (I think) Steigerbox stated that whirlwind is now affected by attack speed and I found one thread where someone said the hits increased from 6-7 to 9-11. However, it seems most people are in agreement that attack speed does not in fact affect whirlwind. So was it actually implemented in patch 1.5 and then removed? Does anyone know for sure if it does or does not work lol?

2. Many people mentioned reduced CD increasing the damage of whirlwind, is this still true?

3. Does increased AOE affect whirlwind?

4. Does attack speed, reduced CD, or AOE affect mythic Cyclone?

5. I saw that Cyclone was nerfed in the next patch. What is it equivalent to, whirlwind 20? Can +5 whirlwind affixes now buff Cyclone since it was nerfed?

6. Does frenzy, zealous, shieldwall, sprint, Zealotry, Adventurer, or +move speed affix actually increase your movement speed while in the whirlwind or Cyclone animation? If yes, which ones are still effective at increasing movement speed when at the 50% cap?

7. Aren’t you happy I didn’t ask if EAC or multi-attack increase the damage of whirlwind like the 100 or so other people? :wink:

Thank you for the help

[quote=“sullivettez”]Ok after reading all 26 pages of “whirlwind” results from the search engine I have some questions.

1. After Patch 1.5 (I think) Steigerbox stated that whirlwind is now affected by attack speed and I found one thread where someone said the hits increased from 6-7 to 9-11. However, it seems most people are in agreement that attack speed does not in fact affect whirlwind. So was it actually implemented in patch 1.5 and then removed? Does anyone know for sure if it does or does not work lol?
  • I’m not sure about patch 1.5, but at least 1.8+ attack speed does not affect Whirlwind and that’s because Whirlwind has an animation to complete and the CD is based on the animation that doesn’t have a way t change the duration.
  1. Many people mentioned reduced CD increasing the damage of whirlwind, is this still true?
  • No, same as above.
  1. Does increased AOE affect whirlwind?
  • IDK, but )'d like to know.
  1. Does attack speed, reduced CD, or AOE affect mythic Cyclone?
  • Attack speed and reduce CD does not affect Cyclone because it’s like a proc, so you would have to increase the proc of cyclone to use more times. I’m not sure about AoE.
  1. I saw that Cyclone was nerfed in the next patch. What is it equivalent to, whirlwind 20? Can +5 whirlwind affixes now buff Cyclone since it was nerfed?
  • IDK
  1. Does frenzy, zealous, shieldwall, sprint, Zealotry, Adventurer, or +move speed affix actually increase your movement speed while in the whirlwind or Cyclone animation? If yes, which ones are still effective at increasing movement speed when at the 50% cap?
  • You can cap your Move Speed to 50% with legendary affix and Dexterity and all other effects that are “not permanent”, like the skills you mentioned, will add move speed regardless your cap.
  1. Aren’t you happy I didn’t ask if EAC or multi-attack increase the damage of whirlwind like the 100 or so other people? :wink:
  • You could… lol. Good searching!

Thank you for the help[/quote]

Any testers want to weigh in on some of these questions please.

Ok, I am not sure why I am not getting any answers from the playtesters. Maybe they are in agreement with the answers provided? However, here is an answer from Apr 2015 which I believe is the timeframe of the current patch.

So does cooldown reduction increase the damage of whirlwind? How about AOE?

I am not trying to be difficult. I am just pointing out that if there is an agreement about how it works, it is not evident from using the forums. Thank you again.

1. AS doesnt affect it anymore, only hit frequency from hero skills
  2. even if you did it wouldnt improve damage, you can only do one whirlwind at a time
  3. Nope
  4. Nope
  5. It deals 3x MH DMG
  6. yes, all of them
  7. Yes

Thank you Diieter. I understand what you mean by CD reduction not increasing damage, but would it increase DPS?

No actually i was still thinking on the old version when i said that, the real answers are these I just gave

I was also interested in this topic.
Thanks Dieter.

When I started I thought attack speed affected it due to faster spinning time.

It was like that before but not anymore