Damage ignoring mana shield?

First of all, thanks for a great game. It’s sadly a rarity to find competent games not ruined by IAPs on the mobile platform.

Now, I’m playing a Wizard with Mana Shield as my defence, with hardly any HP whatsoever. This had been working quite well until I got to the Worm boss in depth 130 or so, which would instantly kill me if I as much as touched it while it’s moving around. It seems like this attack simply ignores my mana shield. Is there a damage type that ignores mana shield (like chaos damage in Path of Exile) or is it simply a bug?

Additionally, it seems like the EHP calculation on the hero stat screen doesn’t include mana shield. While this doesn’t actually have any impact on gameplay, it’d still be nice to see the actual number.

As far as I know, there’s nothing can ignore mana shield.
It’s probably a bug. Maybe Steiger will have to take a look.

That’s good. I should be able to keep using Mana Shield then.

I also got instakilled by the Frost Giant boss a few times, but I didn’t test enough to see if he can ignore the shield, or just has a move that deals ridiculous amounts of damage. 90% of his attacks would deal less damage to my shield than the shield leeches back, but occasionally he would drop me instantly from full mana. I’ll test it some more when I have time.

My guess is that damage reduction (armor and resists) comes off after mana shield is dropped.

I think you were insta killed because the boss did to much damage and it went beyond your sheild and because you dont have a lot of health he killed you. How much mana do you have?

Nope. The mana shield bubble was still visible on my corpse afterwards. I also tested on EP1, where a hit from the worm would take off about 80% of my hit points (leaving Mana Shield active and my mana at full).

I’ve observed this in 3 separate worm fights. It’s 100% consistent and easily reproduced, so it’s definitely a bug if it’s not intended to ignore the shield.

Steps to reproduce:

• Start the desert worm boss fight
  • Activate mana shield
  • Touch it while it’s moving around (not standing still in the centre)
  • Observe how your health is reduced, but not your mana

Additionally, I’ve noticed some attacks piercing mana shield outside of that fight. I think it might be from the spikes/stalagmites that pop out of the ground occasionally. I’ve also observed it during the Frost Giant fight, probably from his ground spike attack, although it was quite inconsistent.

EDIT: Did another Nix Gigas fight. The spikes are definitely what’s causing it, which is consistent with what I’ve noticed from the spikes spawned on normal floors.

If you are still standing up it may be a bug because it happened to me to some times or it’s maybe because you got instantly killed so the game bugged and froze you like that (but I may be wrong for that idea because you tested it in EP 1)

Yeah, I went down to the first worm boss (floor 10, I think) on EP1 and tested it there. The boss would hit me for 44 health damage each tick while I was touching him when he’s moving around. I had about 1.5k health and 70k mana at the time, and it was obviously ignoring my mana shield and damaging my health directly.

I’ve bought a character slot and started playing a Warrior for now (You got my 0.99$, @SteigerBox, so I hope you’re happy :stuck_out_tongue:). Hopefully this gets fixed so I can play mana shield + empower/glass cannon mage again later, as it’s a bit too frustrating for me right now.

Yeah, I went down to the first worm boss (floor 10, I think) on EP1 and tested it there. The boss would hit me for 44 health damage each tick while I was touching him when he’s moving around. I had about 1.5k health and 70k mana at the time, and it was obviously ignoring my mana shield and damaging my health directly.

I’ve bought a character slot and started playing a Warrior for now (You got my 0.99$, @SteigerBox, so I hope you’re happy :stuck_out_tongue:). Hopefully this gets fixed so I can play mana shield + empower/glass cannon mage again later, as it’s a bit too frustrating for me right now.[/quote]

Much appreciated :smile: I can finally be happy.

As far as this issue goes, it was decided that some boss mechanics would deal “unpreventable” damage to force the player to actually give a damn about boss mechanics, to a degree. The skills work by taking percentages of health, and mitigation is completely ignored.

It’s debatable if this is the most fair way to do things, but that hopefully explains our thinking behind these mechanics.

Will look into abilities that should redirect damage to Mana. If you’re a 1 health Glasscannon build, you’re going to have a bad time with some of these as we can’t take a percentage of 1 HP, so that’s definitely a concern.

[quote=“SteigerBox”]
Much appreciated :smile: I can finally be happy.

As far as this issue goes, it was decided that some boss mechanics would deal “unpreventable” damage to force the player to actually give a damn about boss mechanics, to a degree. The skills work by taking percentages of health, and mitigation is completely ignored.

It’s debatable if this is the most fair way to do things, but that hopefully explains our thinking behind these mechanics.

Will look into abilities that should redirect damage to Mana. If you’re a 1 health Glasscannon build, you’re going to have a bad time with some of these as we can’t take a percentage of 1 HP, so that’s definitely a concern.[/quote]

I’m fairly certain that my issue isn’t with them dealing a percentage of my health, as in the case of the Malus and Nix bosses, as they’d kill me in one hit on EP3. If the intention is to have them deal percentage-based unpreventable damage, it seems like it’d be most fair to calculate said percentage on health + mana, but have mana shield actually work. Anyway, it’s good that you’re looking into it. Blood Magic is popular enough as it is :wink:

It’s likely you’re getting multiple registered hits very close together ( which would be a bug ), but will still look into it!

Found the issue, and it should be fixed in the next patch. :smile: