DQ with a handheld controller issues Master Thread

Mods, if inappropriate, please modify, move, or delete as needed.

Purpose: Shinybox has been kind enough to allow for controller usage with Dungeon Quest (you would be amazed how few games support game controllers for mobile devices). Some features may not work correctly or optimally on certain controllers. In an effort to provide Shinybox and other users with a list of reported issues, and a place to report those issues, this thread was created.

Please list the following in any reports:

1. Mobile Device brand and model –
  2. Operating system and version –
  3. Rooted (this is because rooting allows issues to be introduced to the device that may not impact stock devices) –
  4. Controller brand and model –
  5. Controller firmware version –
  6. Dungeon Quest version –
  7. Behavior experienced vs behavior expected for “issues” or desired behavior for “enhancement requests” –

Reported issues:

1. Cannot batch convert mythstones and crystals with Nyko Playpad Pro on Android - workaround available
  2. Left and Right triggers not working to change to different bags/stashes - workaround available

[attachment=0]convert.jpg[/attachment]1. Mobile Device brand and model – Amazon Fire TV
2. Operating system and version – Fire OS (Android-based) v 51.1.4.1_user_514013920
3. Rooted - Yes
4. Controller brand and model - Nyko Playpad Pro
5. Controller firmware version - Unable to obtain
6. Dungeon Quest version – 1.7.4.1
7. Behavior experienced vs behavior expected for “issues” or desired behavior for “enhancement requests”.

On Inventory Screen, when selecting a mythstone or crystal and pressing R1 to convert, there is no method that I can determine to use the < and > options to allow for mass conversion. The only options are button B to cancel or button A to apply.

Workaround: On this particular controller, there is a switch on the bottom to change from HID to other formats, including mouse. Switch to mouse function, and the arrows are clickable and you can convert up to 50 (crystals, not sure on mythstones) to 25 of the next level.

[attachment=0]bag.jpg[/attachment]1. Mobile Device brand and model – Amazon Fire TV
2. Operating system and version – Fire OS (Android-based) v 51.1.4.1_user_514013920
3. Rooted - Yes
4. Controller brand and model - Nyko Playpad Pro
5. Controller firmware version - Unable to obtain
6. Dungeon Quest version – 1.7.4.1
7. Behavior experienced vs behavior expected for “issues” or desired behavior for “enhancement requests”.

When on the Inventory screen, above the contents of the bag is a header that says which bag or stash you are in. There is a “L2” and “R2” on either side of that bag or stash. L2 and R2 should map to the left and right triggers. The expected behavior would be that hitting a trigger would move to a higher or lower bag or stash. As it currently works, the “focus” has to be moved using the thumbstick to the L2 or R2 on-screen buttons and then press A to change to another bag or stash.

Very useful thread snowman, thank you :smile:

We’ll be taking note of all issues here!

Frustration! I got an ipega PG-9023 for my kids. In testing it, with my fire phone (no, I’m not an Amazon fanboi, they just sell cheap), the left/right triggers work on the inventory screen as I expect them to (move from one bag to the next). However, on Fire TV, I can’t get the bleeping ipega controller to pair.

For troubleshooting, I paired the Nyko with my fire phone, just to make sure this wasn’t Fire TV specific with the triggers, and the Nyko triggers didn’t work.

So, the issue seems to be Nyko Playpad Pro (which SAYS it uses HID) specific, yet the triggers do work on other games (such as Fields of Battle).

Have you tried to pair in x or b mode (ipega controller) with fire tv?

Also the ipega could just be using different hardware Id’s for the left and right triggers. I will make sure to have a look at this over the weekend for Steiger before we ship the patch.

I tried pairing in y, x, and b mode. The firetv discovers it, but when trying to pair, the pairing is unsuccessful. I have emailed ipega’s tech support.

I’ve also emailed Nyko’s tech support, who keeps telling me to upgrade to the same firmware I’ve already upgraded to.

Is there a way to revive the hireling while using a controller other than finding the corpse and hitting “A” to revive? It would appear that in the touchscreen version of the game, touching the “$X revive” button in the upper right corner will revive the hireling from wherever they are. With a controller, I don’t see a way to do that.

Note: Nyko Playpad Pro is a discontinued product. Making DQ work with it may be an exercise in futility.

After doing a lot of research and asking others, I’ve found out that Nyko’s Playpad Pro uses the two trigger buttons as “axis” instead of “button”. There was no keylayout (kl) file on the Fire TV for this device. The KL file contents can be found at android.googlesource.com/platfo … ct_0009.kl

For future rediscovery, the steps required to “fix” this on a Fire TV are:

1. It MUST be rooted or you cannot remount the file system.
  2. From a shell as su, run mount -o rw,remount /system
  3. Paste the kl file above to /system/usr/keylayout
  4. Reboot

If you have a different device, you can run cat /proc/bus/input/devices and that will give you a list of all connected devices. Then look in /system/usr/keylayout for the file Vendor_xxxx_Product_yyyy.kl where xxxx and yyyy are replaced by the data found in the cat /proc/bus/input/devices output. If one cannot be found, that explains why it doesn’t map correctly.

For the Nyko Playpad Pro, the triggers don’t work as well as with controllers that use the triggers as “buttons” instead of “axis” because pressing and releasing and pressing again quickly doesn’t work because the “axis” has to return to 0 after being released and before being pressed again.

Here is where controllers seem to get screwed up.

For FireTV, Amazon calls for the use of GAS and BRAKE instead of LTRIGGER and RTRIGGER.
developer.amazon.com/public/sol … ller-input

Amazon also seemingly wants to be Amazon and make you use their products and services exclusively, so a lot of controllers don’t have their own keylayout files on Fire TV. To make things worse, to fix the issue, you need root, and Amazon not only does everything in their power to block root, but they also appear to be utilizing e-fuses to force the issue even more.

Amazon does include a generic.kl to be used if a device-specific keylayout isn’t found. Of course, it sends GAS and BRAKE.

So, it seems like the developers are stuck on this. “Normal” keylayout files seem to believe in LTRIGGER and RTRIGGER while Amazon wants to do things their own way.

Amazon surely WON’T fix this. The gamepad makers CAN’T fix this. So, we must rely on the developers of the games. It seems like every time the game reads input, it needs to have a case for LTRIGGER OR GAS and RTRIGGER OR BRAKE.

So, while the developers are ultimately blamed for not building in compatibility, I would submit that the “fault” lies with Amazon for creating their own keys (I could be wrong, and gas/brake are standardized elsewhere, but I haven’t seen it).