Guidedshot mechanics

Since this came up in the chat I wanted record it so others can see:

@ Unities - Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 pm
Gears make a big difference. But Skill used make an even bigger difference. Guidedshot has a growth mod built into the skill. The more enemies you hit, the more damage it does. A lv14 Rogue without items can do billions of damage with just maxed out guided shot.
@ SteigerBox - Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:11 pm
If we’re comparing just the two skills sure, but I was just answering the question was “why warriors do little damage” I do agree that GuidedShot could be toned down
@ SteigerBox - Mon Mar 23, 2015, 2:12 pm
But also think Warriors can be quite viable if you gear them correctly
@ Unities - Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 pm
I agree that all classes are viable with the right gear. I am just pointing out that Guidedshot has a mechanic built into it that makes it potentially stronger than the rest given the same equipment. Its unlimited exponential growth potential is the problem.
@ Unities - Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:35 pm
Give it a maxmum limit and make the growth arithmetic instead of geometric. It will still be very strong, just not exponentially so.

I’ll use an example of lv40 Guided Shot since 2 is easier to work with than 1.5. Currently it grows like this: 2, 4, 8, 16… With just 10 enemies, that last enemy will take 1024x the damage of the original. Don’t beleive me? Here is a video thanks to blynken:
youtube.com/watch?v=w4WVt8eLBUs

200b damage on a naked lv14 Rogue. That is the power of unlimited exponential growth! Now without changing any numbers but only how it grows from Geometric to Arithmetic it would grow like this: 2, 4, 6, 8… With 10 enemies, you get 20x damage. That is A LOT lower than 1024x don’t you agree? There is little difference with the first few boosts but it is much more controlled as the number of enemies go up.

2 Likes

I forgot the video was upside down. Here is a rotated screenshot of the maximum damage: 582.07B. That is with ~1000 base only. You can tell from the calculations that there was 50 damage boosts.

1 Like