Id like to share a German film with you ( if you don't like subtitles then don't bother. But it's about sheer suicidal bravery)

It’s a true tale based on interrogation and court manuscripts. A German brother and sister taking on the Nazi regime with non violence. It all ends badly. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=baRvF6ZBK18

1 Like

@Golem may like this . Try watching the last twenty minutes of the film then decide if you can watch the whole.

don’t know if I would watch it, but the worse a government is, the worse off it is for those who protest non-violently. lots of examples in history.

Germany voted her the greatest German of all time a few years ago. The film annoys me because what she and her brother and the white rose movement got executed for was stupid and they could have protested in smarter ways but their defiance in the face of death was astonishing and will be forever so.

1 Like

I think I will take a look at the video based on your post. when it comes to non-violent protests, the amount of backlash is directly proportionate to what/who is being protested against.

when it comes to protesting something, especially non-violently, consideration of consequences must be taken into consideration. opposing views could clash verbally or even physically, law enforcement/military and government could go from allowing the protest all the way up to execution/murder. the desire for change for the better, or standing firm for your beliefs.

that brother & sister stood up for what they believed in, and the world eventually saw the reality of the Nazi Regime.

1 Like

The heartbreak thing about the story is that hans and Sophie scholl where both former members of the Hitler youth. So they changed. But basically they wrote damning leaflets against Nazi atrocities. But rather than distributing them secretly they dumped thousands of them from the top floor of a university which was full of students and Nazi soldiers. Just Google their names on Wikipedia.

1 Like

So they got arrested and interrogated. Sophie bullshited the interrogation to be allowed free. Her brother Hans confessed to being the sole culprit so his sister and friends would be spared. Sophie was informed that her brother had confessed and was asked " Do you deny that you was involved?, Her reply was “No. And proud of it.” So they went to a kangaroo court where everyone was sentenced to death. When asked by the judge if she had anything to say she just looked at him and said " you will stand where I am standing soon " . The court wanted to give her a way out by saying she was led astray by her brother. She declined. They all got guillotine that day. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFLgA8wYxw this is the notorious judge they faced.

1 Like

I just read the Wiki of the siblings and also for the White Rose.

just looking at the backgrounds & bio’s of the members of the White Rose, you get a sense of just how bad the Nazi’s were by all the differences of the members who came together for the common goal of bringing down Hitler’s Nazi Germany.

on top of that, because of the medical training some of the members had, they had some first hand experience of war on the Eastern Front, not to mention some of the atrocities witnessed against civilians, Jews, Russians, and others.

the quote by Sophie’s boyfriend from the Eastern Front says a lot about the White Rose as a whole and the members in part.

“[W]e know by whom we are created, and that we stand in a relationship of moral obligation to our creator. Conscience gives us the capacity to distinguish between good and evil.” This is a paraphrase of Newman’s sermon, “The Testimony of Conscience.”

the members of White Rose, and other movements like it around the world and throughout history, felt that to not act was worse than the consequences of doing what is right.

my first memory of the phrase ‘If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything’ was from a country and western song called ‘You’ve Got To Stand For Something’. while looking for the song, I also came across ‘The Quote Investigator’ which took a look a where the saying originated. there are a number of different versions of the saying from as early as 1927.

on the subject of this Thread, the Hitler Youth were taught from Kindergarten to College to stand for the Nazi Party and Teachings, and that anything else is a lie. but when people like the Scholl siblings discover that the Lie is actually the Truth, they made a choice to take a new stand with the Truth, even though it meant possible imprisonment or even death. doing what is right might seem easy, but what about when doing the right thing brings discomfort, pain, suffering, or even death, to oneself, to loved ones, or even innocent strangers? will I still be able to do what is right? the members of the White Rose asked this question of themselves and most of them died, with a few ending up in prison. even when a few were given the chance for a way out to live, they in the end chose death for the truth.

1 Like

I discovered the film by accident at university ten years ago. I was put off because it would have subtitles and I am dyslexic but was intrigued that it’s script was from old discovered accounts of Nazi interrogation and court trail notes and interviews with cell mates and even her prison guard on the day of execution who remembered her last words . Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go… What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?[14][16][17]

1 Like

I am glad I found this extraordinary tale. The judge died under an allied bombing attack (karma) . The German nation who ignored the plight of the white rose at the time in favour of Nazi ideology during the war embraced their memories after the war as atonement for madness. I don’t vote for politicians. But on the 22nd of February ( The day of their deaths ) I think of them. R.IP.

not everyone has the Courage & Faith to stand up for what is right like the members of White Rose.

I’ve been robbed at gunpoint twice in my life, and I still wonder if my actions or inactions were from Courage or Cowardice, Hopelessness or Faith. I will admit I prayed a lot more during the second robbery than I did in the first one, and wondered if the chance I had to call the police would have gotten someone hurt or not, but these kind of choices in these kinds of circumstances are really hard, no matter how right they are.

1 Like

I remember once 30 years ago I
saw a child running onto a motorway with cars coming towards it so I leapt across the road and grabbed the child and saved it. But it was not bravery just instinct. Bravery requires thought about the consequences. I did not think. Bravery only happens when you have fear. That is true bravery.

1 Like

@Golem when you was robbed at gun point ( which I’m sorry to hear because as a student nurse I could have been dead twice dealing with the public) your body automatically gets pumped up with adrenalin and goes into fight or flight mode because your facing death. You could not run away or fight. You was basically seeing the end of your life. It wasn’t cowardice. It was the fear of what comes after death. Wether there is anything after. And trufuly no one really knows. I felt the same emotions because it was I felt my time had come. Bruce Lee famously was asked how to defend against a gun and he said “Run”

1 Like

haha, well, the first time, they came in really fast and there was a gun in my face and ‘don’t move’ before I had a chance to even think or react.

the second time, I was a cashier, and they just came in fast waving guns saying ‘get down on the floor NOW!’. I thought of calling 911, but they were in the managers office and might have seen the buttons on the phone in the office light up. so I just prayed until they left. the good thing about the second robbery, they were found with the loot a few hours later.

1 Like

No win situation.

well, no one got hurt or died, and they got caught, a win for the victims & police!

1 Like

The last four minutes from a legendary English comedy series about world war one. The main characters try every trick I avoid their fate ( e.g. Pretend to be mad or suck up to the general ) but at the end there’s no escape. Very powerful watching it is. And it’s been banned twice https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IglUmgYGxLM&t=11s