Level/Map Editor

After reading, please vote in the poll.

You know what be cool, a map/level editor! Of course, this would take a long time to code, but it is an idea!

Here’s what I’m thinking as to how one could work:

1. General Information
    In this step, you give the map and a name and determine the size and floor difficulty of the map.
    Name - Give it a unique name
    Floor - Enemies scale to this level as do drops
    Size - Maybe 3 predefined sizes: small (4 by 4 rooms?), medium (8 by 8 rooms?), large (12 by 12 rooms?)
    Element - Very important; determines enemy default resistance

2. Map Background
    This is the step where I thnk people would have the most fun as they choose various tiles to form a background image for the map.

3. Enemy Setup
    This step involves choosing the enemy types that will appear. You can also choose to either have a cartographer or a floor boss as the way to end the level.
    Enemies - Set minimum and maximum limit (devs), choose enemies for level
    Boss - Floor = Corresponding boss by using floor modulo 20; Carto - Use cartographer
    Rarity % - Set minimum and maximum limit (devs), % of enemies that are magic tier or higher

4. Level Setup
    Similar to challenge maps, you can add up to 4 affixes to the level to make it more interesting. Each affix requires a Larinar (is that right?) and a predefined amount of gold that scales with specied floor rlevel.
    Affix Pool (Devs) - No tnt or skyfall; limit the pool how you like

One last thing, you have to finish floor 200 + Ignis before unlocking the map editor and the floor chosen must be less than or equal to the highet floor you reached on ep 8 to prevent cheating. (If you use the leaderboard data, the minimum limit is 200)

Cool I really think that should happen but I would have to play hours and hours to get to 200 and kill igis

Ignis*

This feature is present on some large scale dungeon crawlers on the PC, and is cool.

Can’t really know if this will be balanced. I’m sure some of the geniuses here can make quick, rinse and repeat exploits from this, as areas on this game are instance-based.

For one, I will always make giant maps to get the most out of my pack size affix. I will also set the maximum number of elite enemies. Tada, recyclable farming map.

Lol

Lol, my first thought too, but you said it using much more family friendly words :wink:

[quote=“JesteR”][quote=“ocenyx”]

I’m sure some of the geniuses here can make quick, rinse and repeat exploits from this, as areas on this game are instance-based.
[/quote]

Lol, my first thought too, but you said it using much more family friendly words :wink:[/quote]

+1 so definitly no :dieter:

[quote=“ocenyx”]This feature is present on some large scale dungeon crawlers on the PC, and is cool.

Can’t really know if this will be balanced. I’m sure some of the geniuses here can make quick, rinse and repeat exploits from this, as areas on this game are instance-based.

For one, I will always make giant maps to get the most out of my pack size affix. I will also set the maximum number of elite enemies. Tada, recyclable farming map.[/quote]

#1: Devs determine affix pool; if they say no pack size, no pack size
#2: You have to pay gold, whatever to replay a map

That’s just band-aiding a single problem :laughing: not to mention that it’s easy to use larimar on the finished maps for essentially the same effect, but in a more random way than picking it from the editor. Then I can repurchase with gold and reapply larimar again when it fails.

It will break the monotony of regular maps that is the cartographer, but it will definitely become a farming tool because of potential manipulation of reward-affecting factors like area size and the number of elite enemies. Not that it’s a bad thing. More loot and gold is always welcome in a game like this.

[quote=“ocenyx”]That’s just band-aiding a single problem :laughing: not to mention that it’s easy to use larimar on the finished maps for essentially the same effect, but in a more random way than picking it from the editor. Then I can repurchase with gold and reapply larimar again when it fails.

It will break the monotony of regular maps that is the cartographer, but it will definitely become a farming tool because of potential manipulation of reward-affecting factors like area size and the number of elite enemies. Not that it’s a bad thing. More loot and gold is always welcome in a game like this.[/quote]

It’s a draft; drafts are never perfect.
Here was what I think could balance the affix issue:

1. You get to add up to 4 affixes using gold and Larinars from a pool the dev choose.
  2. 2 affixes are randomly generated like for regular challenge maps
  3. You can only use Diamonds on these levels.
  4. I’m still against TNT props and skyfall though.

You can already use diamonds to reduce sky fall effect (that’s what I’ve been doing)
The rest I don’t really mind.

TnT Props easy to avoid (use wrath equips for warriors or any projectile skills like Spell Sword)

You can customize maps a bit already. The only upside of something like this would be to exploit certain affixes. Remove those affixes from the pool you say, ok, then you’re back to limited customization that we already have. Seems like an awful lot of downside, with no real upsides. For those reasons, meh… I’m not really interested. :confused:

Part of the beauty of map editors is making your own maps. Maps aren’t just the enemies and affixes, its the artwork thats important too; in other words, the background or terrain of the map.

I understand there are weakpoints in it, but part of it is the creativity. Its the ability to make your own backgrounds by using a preexisting tileset. Certainly that is something to think about?

Haha, quick edit. :wink:

I understand fully. But something that essentially boils down to choosing the terrain, isn’t appealling to ME. Sure, I have my favorite map styles and colors like most people probably do, but I don’t need to have it all the time. Variety is part of the appeal of DQ. So again, my opinion is something like this being added wouldn’t get me excited.

If at least maps had reliefs or bridges, houses or anything which could make a “beautiful map” and would be “creative” … why not… but any maps of DQ are the same (some trees, some holes, hm… ) :dieter: