What I found about DQ zombies in reducing them

XD lol :smile: .

2 Likes

Lmao xD

1 Like

Love the zombie effect.!
It.looks like my warrior summons a minion!
:joy::joy:

Lol.

Yup, force GPU rendering makes it worse for me to play DQ in my experience. Also I kept having crashes but uninstalled and reinstalled and they disappeared the crashes. As far as zombies, still very few zombies and good framerate without GPU rendering enabled.

I often play the game with external music player as well which could be a big effect on potential performance but not much. Even at 1.4ghz dual core with 4 Extra little cores it runs fine (I lowered maximum clock speed) and the undervolt especially helps too.

Well the game runs fantastic now regardless and that’s even better with the shadow update to reduce the lighting effects. I haven’t yet updated to the shadow turn off fix as I’m on 4G ATM but yeah I will. Although I’m kinda nervous lol since I always run ultra low shadows and low fx . GPU wise it doesn’t make my device as hot as games like Eternium and better so when undervolt and disabled dvfs. Farming feels quick for sure now and will probably be quicker if I choose a less intensive farm build (aftermath and packsize is intensive and with crushing flames).

Also I undervolt much further to -60mv or -75mv CPU and -37.5mv on GPU and -25mv on memory. Seems to help a lot for me and 720p is still the smoothest spot for gameplay for me. 1080p and higher doesn’t feel worth it in performance to looks and more battery drain but that’s up to you.

Lastly, I felt like the crashes stopped and improved performance since the low ram device Xposed module was disabled which means there’s no limited on how much RAM DQ can use. Yeah ram does affect the performance of DQ if it can’t use anymore or if your ram is too low. Now it can use as much ram as it wants and smooth experience. 720p is a good one because it uses less ram overall (the ram in your phone also accounts for Vram from the graphics as well as other things). If phones had separate Vram like pcs, then ram wouldn’t cool as quickly and graphic performance will be fine.

That was the case for my S3 mini when it has low ram which meant I couldn’t play as fast as I can on the S6 , although other factors such as inferior GPU, CPU and storage did come into it.

Still this post still stands as it works well for me.

Update: Turns out the S6 was being limited by Touchwiz Android which is Samsung’s version of android so that’s why I had to have higher clock speeds in game as well as other root tweaks.

What I found out was that S6 had so much hidden potential that got released by the Android Stock ROM (also known as AOSP) which is essentially pure android. It meant I could run at lowest clock speed of 800mhz on all 4 cores big and something low like 1.0ghz or 800mhz or even less on the little cores. The game was easily playable even at 150% packsize, super smooth and no zombies that way. That was just on battery saver mode.

As far as my S5. Oh boy I have a lot to tell you. The S5 is a nice phone but what’s limiting it in dungeon quest is Touchwiz android , Hotplugging (turning cores off automatically and limiting IPC so the amount you can get done at lower clock speeds) as well as default GPU governor. The GPU really struggled and also the CPU at stock setting with or without packsize.

Rooted the S5, turn off hotplugging , changing GPU governor to sync with clock speed or performance to squeeze most juice out of it and its optional whether you want to keep Samsung Touchwiz custom ROM or Touchwiz alone or Pure android custom rom.

I found that I could run DQ fairly easily at 1.4ghz or something low on 4 cors CPU on the S5 which is an old CPU 32 bit but its not that much weaker than the S6. The GPU however was like much weaker than the S6 GPU but even then, I managed dual core 1.2 or 1.4ghz , high fx or max settings , super high packsize number,high shadows or low shadows and well not only speedy gaming performance that I also felt on urooted S6, and saving a ton of power and battery.

I didn’t even have to undervolt or over clock the phones once I used Custom ROM pure android and easily achieve 6 hour battery life or 4-5 hours when gaming. Maybe even way more. S5 battery larger which I like. Turns out I can get anything to run DQ nicely. Problem is that if DQ slows , physics and everything slows and that can cause zombie glitches.

If I wanted to however , I could run something like a really low clock speed and lowest settings for ultimate battery saving while still having the game fast. I could have changed the resolution of the device but I didn’t have to. Major difference between S5 and S6 is GPU and storage speed being doubled the S5s. 385MB/s rather than 220MB/s. No regrets rooting and having fantastic devices.

I had the S5 used for really good price and I don’t regret it. The S6 of mine did have cracked screen and water damage and I decided new phone is best since its very expensive to repair the phone screen . I could’ve bought the OnePlus 3T since that’s an amazing phone even out of the box unrooted if I spent more or even a tablet that is very powerful.

1 Like

Yikes ! I feel like I’ve been at one of those lectures where everyone sits in silence wondering what the lesson is actually about :joy: My brain melts …oh the pain lol :hushed:

1 Like

Oh lol. I felt the same way figuring that stuff out :joy: .

Used this app called GLTools. You can either get it on XDA as apk or from play store as paid. Very useful in making DQ easier to run and potentially reduce zombies without affecting the looks of the game. The settings I used were Optimise GLSL shaders, force 16 bit rendering (though that does kinda affect the looks and breaks the toggle map tool and sometimes it runs worse unless your device is fast enough, i.e CPU not bottlenecking the GPU and vice versa), Ignore SIGTRAP, fix FBO attachment sizes, maybe Ignore glGetError 0 are quite useful sometimes in getting the game run better without affecting how it looks.
Packed stencil buffer option does disable shadows even though you can already do that in game but useful for certain games where you don’t want shadows. There is an fps counter in the app which can be useful in determining if your changes made it worse or better, though it didnt work for dq for me.

There is also disable Anti Aliasing, lower render resolution (it will make your game look blurry or lower resolution overall) and downscale textures. Then the big options like enable texture decompression and enable texture recompression which can make the game run better without affecting how it looks. Other options include emulation of certain behaviour like glmapbuffer for unsupported devices and even the ability to fake the gpu and cpu but i wouldn’t use these unless you really needed them. Quite a nice app to get Nvidia and Tegra games to run on non tegra devices though and in tegra, it can make some games run even better than they already do or look better/worse.

My personal choices on both my S5 and S6 were disable internal anti aliasing (or enable extra anti aliasing if you want more crispy pixels gameplay with your high resolution when your device is powerful enough, though you can also do this in developer options such as MSAA, or CSAA on tegra), use 1080p than 1440p which can be done in app or other apps (1080p is 25% lower resolution than 1440p so i did 0.75x internal resolution for eg on the S6 while for the S5, i left it normal since it already runs well at native 1080p), texture decompression enabled= all, enable texture recompression = decompressed only or if im using gpu rendering in developer options, disable texture decompression and enable texture recompression= all. Then ignore sigtrap. I know my S6 was 50% faster overall in cpu and gpu but my S5 was still performing brilliantly at high fx and ultra shadows with dmg numbers and low or high clock speeds and even more so when i use a stock android custom rom (games just run better on stock android, period.) I can use lower resolution like 720p or so but 1080p I find is the sweet spot in graphics and playability on my devices.

This app also works on other games if you like that fps boost while keeping the game looking good (or worse), and it even works on none games. Game tuner is a samsung app that can do something like this too on samsung but limited control and GLTools work on any device, provided they rooted.

Also setting high clock speed in general, disabling power saving mechanisms and reducing background processes does help too. I don’t use google play services anymore since its a battery hog as well as slowing any device I had unless i disabled certain processes and I prefer privacy, speed and battery life. similar issues with facebook and certain bloatware but I use browser instead and/or Fdroid apps and stop the bloatware/uninstall them. Storage speeds do matter also but rq affinity and a i/o scheduler that isnt row or bfq but something like noop, deadline or fiops works well with cpu and gpu high clocks. Overclocking does help too but not everyone can overclock and it can potentially damage your device if not careful, that and it requires a custom android kernel, different from the stock kernel that comes with your device/OS but thats the beauty of open source linux kernels for android. Other functions like undervolting can also come from this but all this depends on the person.

Zombie/ghost enemy glitch caused of course because of some sort of lag/bottleneck in your device which can be all sorts of things, especially if you clump the enemies together in high packsize map. Using taunt can also be demanding or higher settings. Lag also seems to be the link with my duplicate inventory problem as I never had it happen when my device was too fast for the game. I can run the highest settings on both my devices but it did come with some game boosts. GLTools feels like changing game cfg files like im doing on a pc game but easy to undo and not have to rebuild and modify apks. This is really good even on flagship devices, though GLTools also has the potential to mess up the graphics and cause artifacts in game but at least it’s easy to undo. It was a great learning experience using these tools to experiment with the game though and many other games, even emulators.
For sure im Excited for DQ2 though and how that will turn out too :smile: .

For iOS, well things just run quite well but jailbreaks can allow this power too, though at a steep cost and I don’t know anything about iOS on the jailbreak side of things.

This also works on PC emulator app like bluestacks as some support root and a decent pc if you like to play DQ on PC in the event you lost your device and other examples.

One other thing I did and forgot to mention was disable Vsync which is totally possible on android rooted devices. Something like build prop debug.egl.swapinterval =0, debug.grl.swapinterval= 0 and hwui.disable_vsync = true. This can break some games or make fps unstable/cause more lag but useful on powerful devices as it can unlock your fps to above the 60fps cap and it doesn’t seem to break DQ at least , even more useful on high refresh rate screens (though some games fps are the same as the hz due to vsync if your device powerful enough). There are other build props such as ro.product.gpu driver = 1, debug.sf.hw for permanent gpu rendering (milage can vary in how well that works) and some other tweaks that exist for android. Build prop file can easily be edited with apps like kernel adiutor with root as that the app that also allows me to change the clock speeds and other parameters.

1 Like