[BALANCE] 1.8 Spell Sword can't be buffed by hero pts

This may be by design, and I simply could be incorrect.

It would appear that there is no way to use hero points to buff Spell Sword “weapons”. Since Spell Sword replaces the MH primary with comet and the MH special with meteor, it seems like spending hero points on the “original” MH primary and MH special skills should translate to the comet and meteor, but they appear not to.

I am finding that on Mythic 3 (EP8) levels around 250 or so, I’m often having to change my horn (the item with spell sword as the set affix) from the crystal, well-crafted horn to a normal legend horn so I can use the “native” special skill of whirlwind for my hammer to defeat the Cartagrapher. I realize that different weapons and different affixes impact different enemies differently, but this seems to be a fairly regular issue.

Why this becomes important is that the way it APPEARS to work now, without being able to use hero points for skills pertaining to Spell Sword, that Spell Sword is going to be capped as being a mid-game weapon and increasingly less useful going forward to higher levels.

Again, I reserve the right to be completely mistaken, but am very interested in feedback.

That is why spellsword is now perfect for wiz.
If you are a warrior you cannot maximize the spellsword effect coz you cant buff comet and meteor via hero points. But if you can buff them via epic affix.

It’s quite possible there will be ways to empower “off-class” spells in the future, but it won’t be through the Hero Skill system. As far as the Battle Mage and Spell Sword sets, we can look into improving the damage more for investing more set pieces.

Something that I think would be neater overall is following that train of thought with all of the sets. Improve the synergy when equipping more of the same set. Some get all of their bonuses add up, and some only parts of it do. Plagued, for instance, scales with additional bits added. Blood Magic, however, loses half its bonus with a second equipped.

Something that I think would be neater overall is following that train of thought with all of the sets. Improve the synergy when equipping more of the same set. Some get all of their bonuses add up, and some only parts of it do. Plagued, for instance, scales with additional bits added. Blood Magic, however, loses half its bonus with a second equipped.[/quote]
All sets do improve with each additional piece added already, including Blood Magic.

Something that I think would be neater overall is following that train of thought with all of the sets. Improve the synergy when equipping more of the same set. Some get all of their bonuses add up, and some only parts of it do. Plagued, for instance, scales with additional bits added. Blood Magic, however, loses half its bonus with a second equipped.[/quote]
All sets do improve with each additional piece added already, including Blood Magic.[/quote]
I will admit here that I’m new to looking into the features and mechanics in depth.

Only half of the Blood Magic bonus gets applied with each additional piece. Get an item that has a bonus +% weapon damage greater than 12.5% and the Blood Magic addition isn’t quite as worthwhile. If the health cost were slightly decreased with each additional one, or the damage and health cost were amped up with each additional piece, then its power value (and consequently risk value) goes up with it.

As far as I’m aware, all of Plagued’s bonuses get applied in full for each set piece equipped. Without a cap (which I’m unaware of), that means +175% health = AR, and +175% DoT per poisoned enemy (however the math for that one works out, it’s always confused me.) And, depending on the rest of the build, it could well be that a second Plagued item is far better an equipped piece than a second Blood Magic is.

I refer to those two specifically because I have them equipped and I don’t remember any others.

You kinda have a point.

Blood Magic inceases the same with each rank, 12.5%, not half for the second one. What you may not realize is that +DMG% is ONLY available on a weapon, and affects only the weapon which it is on. So what you are saying is that +12.5% from an additional Blood Magic piece is less than what you would get from a regular DMG% affix, if only you could do that. :smile:

Also, in most cases you are not actually adding a second piece of the set, but rather adding an affix which grants +all sets, thus giving you additional synergy to each set globally.

[quote=“Rubik”]
Blood Magic inceases the same with each rank, 12.5%, not half for the second one. What you may not realize is that +DMG% is ONLY available on a weapon, and affects only the weapon which it is on. So what you are saying is that +12.5% from an additional Blood Magic piece is less than what you would get from a regular DMG% affix, if only you could do that. :smile:[/quote]
How does +Extra attack chance come into play on a non-weapon? Completely ignored, applies only to main weapon, both weapons, or something else entirely?

[quote=“Rider of Dark”][quote=“Rubik”]
Blood Magic inceases the same with each rank, 12.5%, not half for the second one. What you may not realize is that +DMG% is ONLY available on a weapon, and affects only the weapon which it is on. So what you are saying is that +12.5% from an additional Blood Magic piece is less than what you would get from a regular DMG% affix, if only you could do that. :smile:[/quote]
How does +Extra attack chance come into play on a non-weapon? Completely ignored, applies only to main weapon, both weapons, or something else entirely?[/quote]
The only thing I can definitively tell you is that it doesn’t affect the special attacks of weapons. I don’t think offhands work with Extra Attacks though. It should work the same however no matter the piece its on.

Further questions that you cant find answers to would be better suited in a new thread though.
Sorry snowman for flooding your thread. :smile:

The blood magic set only applies half of its effect with additional pieces in the sense that the first piece has two effects (mp to health and +12.5% damage) while each additional piece only applies the damage increase. I agree with the OP in that blood magic is a set where additional pieces are not as beneficial as additional pieces of other sets. I would also say that I agree with the development team that the benefit of just one piece of the blood magic set is such that reduced effectiveness of additional pieces is appropriate. Allowing the ability to ignore one entire set of stats (either hp, hp leech, hp % or the mp equivalents) is enough of a bonus that it does not need additional pieces to add significantly to your stats.

I must say I like the current system where each set applies all of its effects upon equipping a single piece and additional pieces increase the bonuses obtained. It allows for mixing and matching sets to a degree I haven’t found possible in other games. I use six different set pieces and have a few alternate pieces with which to allow for variety and testing theories.

Blood magic has an unlisted penalty. With Blood Magic equipped, mana potions and mana orbs are useless. They both apply to the mana quantity, which registers as ZERO. No health from either. I don’t know whether that’s a bug as in its an unforeseen consequence or it’s a bug in that there’s not enough space to let the user know that those will be useless. Blood magic does say that it replaces all MP, MP regen, and MP leech with HP equivalents.