It seems cataclysm is the best choice for ring to wizard

After adding set affix to cataclysm, I could not think of any better choice for ring. The twister and storm from cataclysm help so much in killing boss.
Do anyone have any advice?

Are you not considering crafted rings? E.g., my wizards ring is +50% dodge, +100% frostbite, +5 elementalist, +5 storm, +2 all sets, with permafrost. But the affixes you pick depends on your build/roll results.

Personally, i really dislike the twister proc—i dont want the mobs to be pushed back out of the range of stormI’ve even considered using the taunt skill to pull the mobs to me, instead of pushing them back. And, while a storm proc is useful, i’d rather have the storms that i DO cast to have much higher damage.

Then you are not maximizing DPS. 25% Proc = 25% overall DPS increase after all other mods. This is assuming you ONLY cast Storm. If you abuse the fact that all 4 attack commands can trigger this, the actual DPS increase is much higher. The only thing you lose is consistency but that is true for Increase Crit chance, Increased Crit damage and Dealdly strike which all work on a chance as well. Storm has a 3s cooldown. Even with the max of 60% reduction, it still has a 1.2s CD. If you just cast 1 other skill within that 1.2s, you will average out at a 50% increase in DPS. 25% proc = average of 1 proc every 4 attacks.

Then you are not maximizing DPS. 25% Proc = 25% overall DPS increase after all other mods. This is assuming you ONLY cast Storm. If you abuse the fact that all 4 attack commands can trigger this, the actual DPS increase is much higher. The only thing you lose is consistency but that is true for Increase Crit chance, Increased Crit damage and Dealdly strike which all work on a chance as well. Storm has a 3s cooldown. Even with the max of 60% reduction, it still has a 1.2s CD. If you just cast 1 other skill within that 1.2s, you will average out at a 50% increase in DPS. 25% proc = average of 1 proc every 4 attacks.[/quote]

You’re taking my comment out of context, and youre also ignoring important factors: [ul][li]Maximizing storm damage includes maximizing storm strength. [/li][li]Some (all?) phones only allow one touch at a time…if I use lesser skills and hope for a proc, then I’m not moving toward the next set of mobs to kill. [/li][li]Tangentially, proc location isn’t easily controlled if you’re moving. for the proc to cause full double damage, it needs to have the same amount of valid targets. you assume that the targets arent moving while they get hit with a second storm (which is false, because your twister proc will push them away.) [/li][li]Cataclysm is stacked with procs which look pretty but don’t provide the supplementary benefits of the other affixes that I previously mentioned. [/li][/ul] If you want to stand in one place and rain dps from the sky again and again and again on the same mobs, thats fine…but i usually drop one storm and then i start moving toward the next group of mobs because the original group of mobs is already dead. I dont need to wait for extra procs just to kill a single group of mobs.

I’m not denying that a storm proc is useful and can increase dps. If you’re in love with the storm proc, that’s great—but consider incorporating it into a custom ring that uses other affixes to make storm, and your overall character, stronger. You can’t just pick a single item and declare it the best in game, because your dps is a amalgamation of ALL of your items, not just a single piece.

I think we misunderstood each other somewhere. I am not saying Cataclysm is the best item to have. But I am saying Proc Storm increases your DPS significantly and it should be included into DPS calculations.

[ul][li]Maximizing storm damage includes maximizing storm strength.
Casting Storm then teleport to move with 25% storm proc gives you an average increase of 50% DPS on top of all other mods. This is a much bigger DPS increase than +50% WD which does not affect +WD, +ED, Rage and etc. The question is if you want to maximize DPS or Consistancy.[/li]
[li]Some (all?) phones only allow one touch at a time…if I use lesser skills and hope for a proc, then I’m not moving toward the next set of mobs to kill.
Wiz have the Teleport which triggers storm proc and moves the Wiz forward and closer to the next mob. There are also instant cast skills like Stealth which immediatly allows you to move after the cast. And no most phones have multi touch guesture software to zoom and etc. They can handle multiple taps.[/li]
[li]Tangentially, proc location isn’t easily controlled if you’re moving. for the proc to cause full double damage, it needs to have the same amount of valid targets. you assume that the targets arent moving while they get hit with a second storm (which is false, because your twister proc will push them away.)
Storm proc will always activate in the direction you are facing so it is very easily controlled (remove auto target). If you cast Storm and get a proc, the second storm will be on top of the first one. If you use teleport, the Proc’d Strom will be behind you (in front of where you originally were) hitting the momsters that are chasing you. Also I am specifically only talking about Storm Proc. Not Cataclysm.[/li]
[li]Cataclysm is stacked with procs which look pretty but don’t provide the supplementary benefits of the other affixes that I previously mentioned.
I agree that this item is crap and should be replaced with a custom made item even if it is an Eternal one.[/li][/ul]

Actually scratch everything I just said about Storm Proc being good. I forgot they nerfed it so that it only has a chance to proc every second. It sucks and you should never use it unless you are new and do not hve anything better.

Jesus… im way too drunk for all that tech-math stuff.

Hunter ring w crystal/set affix OR wait till next update…

Edit… btw. … storm + cyclone = good. Anything that hits 20+ mobs at once is a good thing if you group them up first.

or increase your own +AOE and Magnify

Idc what anyone says cataclysm is one nice ring all kinds of stupid damage goin on specially ith that torrent proc u gotta look how many different spells procing its mass effective im grinding mythical and this ring has alot to do with it before i found it i was a zero even with rings that look better this one is thumbs up for me

Hi. :smiley:
Could you please pay attention to post dates? It keeps confusion from arising due to interspersing old topics with new topics.
Please and thanks.
Enjoy, man. :wink: