My Review of DQ as a Whole

See the third post for link to correctly formatted post

Introduction

Dungeon Quest is an action RPG game that allows you to explore dungeons and customize your characters in an infinite number of ways. You can play as one of three classes ranging from warrior tank, rogue archer, and a powerful elemental wizard.

Gameplay: 35/50

Controls: 10/10

The controls are very simple and easy to use. You move using the left virtual stick, access potions at the bottom of the screen, and attack using the buttons to the right of you. If this layout does not work out, you can try an alternate layout where you tap in the direction you want to move, and all the potions and attack buttons are located at the bottom of the screen. Furthermore, you can change the size of the virtual stick and/or the buttons themselves. Overall, the controls are extremely easy to use and intuitive.

Difficulty: 7/10

The game offers eight different difficulty levels that range from a variety of luck, gold find, enemy health, experience, and enemy power amounts. The higher the difficulty level, the harder the enemies, and the more rewards you receive. My main complaint about the difficulty is the curve: when you begin, it is pretty simple to perform well, even at the hardest difficulty, but by the time you start doing challenge maps, the difficulty skyrockets; what used to be super easy has become super difficult. Part of the difficulty jump comes with the ideal of being able to gain magnitudes better gear, yet that takes a lot of time, so casual gamers cannot progress extremely far. More on this in a second. My other complaint is that while the grunts take no effort to kill, the epic+ tier enemies can take forever to kill.

Composition Balance: 4/10

I feel the balance between luck, strategy, time, and skill could use a lot more work. Like I stated earlier, if you are on the earlier floors, the game is super easy, but as you progress, the floors become exponentially harder than the previous. On one hand, harder floors should equate better loot which is generally true; the problem lies within the amount of luck required in this game. To progress extremely far in this game (say floor 300+), you must obtain excellent gear/craft excellent gear. To get excellent gear, you have to be able to do the harder floors and yo need a ton of luck. With the crystal stone and mythostone update, they worsened this balance by shifting emphasis from looting items to creating your own gear. Whilst this is not a bad thing, it takes a ridiculously long amount of time to get some of the best crystals, let alone craft useful gear. Another thing would be the fact that, partially due to the extremely simple controls, the game requires almost no skill to play effectively. Personally, I would say the game is 15% strategy, 5% skill, 40% luck, and 40% time.

Replayability: 6/10

Not much to say here. Whilst the game offers limitless customization (via a powerful enchantment system using crystal stones and mythostones), the game does become repetitive, which can really decrease its replay value. Overall, I think it is worth playing again and again in this respect, but do not try to play for too long, or you will become bored.

Other: 8/10

The game is very repetitive, which for some people leads to addictive gameplay, whilst for others, it is very boring. The main reason I find myself playing this game is the amount of customization allowed. Items and gear are almost endless; there are so many affixes and combinations, you just find what works for you. Another factor is the unlimited number of floors which allows you to keep descending deeper as your strength allowed. Finally, there is not just one combination that’s best; there are several great combinations.

Gameplay Summary: 35/50 or 7/10

The highlights of the gameplay include the easy to use controls and the limitless customizations allowed whilst the negative sides is that the game requires too much luck rather than strategy to be successful. All-in-all, it is very addicting, but it could use some improvements.

Story: 1/10

I’m not sure if I should even give this category a score at all… The game almost completely lacks a story line, although one is somewhat hinted at the first floor of each act on normal maps. Personally, I am disappointed the ame lacks a story; it would be like a hundred times better if it included one, but I cannot fault people who think such would be more of an obtrusive pop-up. I give this a 1 due to those subtle hints and the fact that I am of the opinion that you cannot call a game an rpg without sme sort of story.

Graphics: 7/10

I’m no expert on this matter, because I personally do not care much. The developers definitely worked hard on designing some great-looking graphics, and you can choose between low fx (higher performance) graphics and high fx (lower performance) graphics based on your preferences. The one thing that would probably annoy most people is the fact that a lot of the graphics, especially the background, tend to be very repetitive. Also, the display of damage numbers can be annoying, but you can turn those off. Other than that, I do not really see anything negative as far as graphics are concerned.

Sound: 5/10

I do not normally play with sound, but I feel it could use some more sound and variety of here. Basically, the main sound is the background music and not much else.

Content: 10/10

I kinda already covered this earlier under gameplay->other, but I am going to go a bit more in-depth this time. First of all, there is an xp leveling system with a level cap of 99 that allows you to improve some base stats. In the long run though, this has little gameplay impact. Then, you also have a heroic level with a cap of 99. To increase your heroic level, you must gain hero points by completing feats and defeating epic+ monsters (popups are in orange text). As this is an action rpg, you also have floors; there are two types of floors: normal (floors 1-200 only) and challenge maps; the latter allows you to advance deeper indefinitely. During the first 200 normal floors, at the end of every 5 levels, you encounter a powerful act boss, which is considered an epic enemy, and the boss is able to utilize a variety of attacks which is very interesting. If you need help in a dungeon, you can also hire another character to partner up with (note: additional character slots cost $0.99 plus tax) to help you clear floors.
Now, let me talk about the customization, which I have glorified a lot throughout this guide. First of all, every item is of a certain tier, and some items can become higher tiers under certain circumstances; the tiers are: normal, magic, epic, crystal, mythic, legend, and eternal legend. Crystal items are formed by the fact they have a crystal affix; legend items are powerful items with atleast 1 guaranteed legend affix. Mythics are formed when a specific set of 4 mythostones are added to an item to form a mythic affix. Eternal legends can only be obtained via extreme luck, and they have double affixes and 50% quality at the cost of being only able to use calcite (element) and beryl (nature) on them. There are also several types of affixes: normal, epic, legend, crystal, set, and mythic. The last two have a huge impact on your performance in battle. Whilst most legend items are powerful, the best items come from using crystal stones to enchant and augment your gear. Mythostones can be used on items with empty sockets and provide powerful buffs to the equipment.

Update Rate: 9/10

This is simple: they update the game fairly often and they add loads of new content. Furthermore, they are committed to squashing bugs before release, and if a major bug is found in an update, they are quick to patch them.

Summary: 67/100 which translates to a 7.

The game is free, very addictive, and offers a lot of content, especially in terms of customization. The graphics look good, the sound is decent, and the developers focus on bringing a high-quality game that is frequently updated with new content. The downside is the lack of balance in terms of strategy versus luck, the lack of a story, and the repetitiveness of the game. All in all, a very good game that is of remarkably high quality especially considering it is completely free!

Note: I copied the review verbatim from when I was composing it at gamefaqs which only accepts html markup.
You are now free to post.

Here’s the fully rendered version: gamefaqs.com/android/830801- … iew-160472

The lack of a storyline altogether is a strength. Dungeon Quest puts the entire focus on gameplay. Any storyline that isn’t stellar is a stumbling block to the whole experience.

It takes any and all reasoning about why the world exists as it does and tosses it out the window. At a fundamental level it means that nobody can say that the story is cliche, sub-par, stupid, bad, awesome, unexpected, or anything else. It’s an element removed from the equation, and because the rest of the experience is done well here the lack of any story whatsoever should be applauded.

[quote=“Rider of Dark”]The lack of a storyline altogether is a strength. Dungeon Quest puts the entire focus on gameplay. Any storyline that isn’t stellar is a stumbling block to the whole experience.

It takes any and all reasoning about why the world exists as it does and tosses it out the window. At a fundamental level it means that nobody can say that the story is cliche, sub-par, stupid, bad, awesome, unexpected, or anything else. It’s an element removed from the equation, and because the rest of the experience is done well here the lack of any story whatsoever should be applauded.[/quote]
First of all, that is something to think about (stories) when it comes to rpg games and the alike. Second, I did mention that some people would find it obtrusive. Third, it kinda does have a plot (remember the act bosses?). Fourth, it wouldn’t to maybe add one like perhaps several journal entries now would it?

Final Note: Each section was added together to get a final score and then translated to a scale of 1 to 10. Gameplay counted as a whopping 50% of the score, 10% came from the story, 20% came from graphics and sound, and 20% came from game content and updates. Therefore, a low score in story is not the only thing that factored into the score.

Thanks for the very in depth review! While I am a score chaser and always want to be as good as possible I appreciate the thought you put into the review. One small point you said that the save slots are 1.99. They are actually .99 and remove all ads. Are you based in the US? Just want to make sure we don’t have our prices out of wack somewhere.

Good review. We can always discuss +1/-1 on your individual scores for each category, but I think overall you gave a fair evaluation.

One thing, I think you forgot, is the leaderboards. This is currently the only available aspect of multiplayer functionality, as far as I can tell. And I think it actually has a big impact on replayability, addictiveness and why you keep playing a lvl 99 character to try and get just a bit further ahead, since single player can only bring you so much satisfaction.

Two things.

1. Couldn’t agree more with this not really being a true rpg due to lack of story. Some may like the lack of story, some may hate it (I hate it), but to be roleplaying, you need to be playing some sort of specific role. Being a generic murderer doesn’t count. :smile:

2. You can’t use diamonds on Eternals like you say in Content. You can change element and nature only.

Ha, I must’ve been mistaken! Yeah, I remember now: $0.99 plus tax, sorry!

Thank you for everyone comments; I know I wasn’t all inclusive, but I tried to cover all the aspects I remembered (really did forget about the leaderboards, that does carry some weight too).

@rubik Corrected
@Brexton I actually play because the idea of being able to craft the perfect gear, but to everyone their own opinions.

[quote=“Rider of Dark”]The lack of a storyline altogether is a strength. Dungeon Quest puts the entire focus on gameplay. Any storyline that isn’t stellar is a stumbling block to the whole experience.

It takes any and all reasoning about why the world exists as it does and tosses it out the window. At a fundamental level it means that nobody can say that the story is cliche, sub-par, stupid, bad, awesome, unexpected, or anything else. It’s an element removed from the equation, and because the rest of the experience is done well here the lack of any story whatsoever should be applauded.[/quote]

Well said my friend, I applaud you for echoing my sentiments exactly :mrgreen: