Play with hireling or without?

I just hit floor 500 and finished two ascensions on a warrior and wizard before I realized that using a hireling was actually slowing down my progress :frowning: It took some digging through the forums to understand that exp/luck/whatever gain is averaged between both characters.

But there is a bonus to item drops from playing with a hireling, right? So please correct me if Iā€™m wrong here:

• When trying to ascend, is it better to play alone in order to gain maximum exp?
  • When farming for items, crystals and stones, is it then better to use a strong hireling and wear as many item/luck/gold affixes as possible (like a fortune bringer, letā€™s say, playing with a poison wizard)?
  • And one question: If you do play with one character equipped for farming and one equipped for killing, does it matter which one is the hireling and which one is the main? Should I manually control the ā€œfortune bringerā€ in this case for simplicityā€™s sake?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications!

When leveling, you should use one character with EXP Gain increases.
When farming, always use two characters. You will get +100% Item Drop. And you should use your farming character as your main; farming affixes such as Nadroji, etc. only function on your main.

1 Like

Clear and concise answers, thanks so much! Your tips/tricks mega-thread has also been very helpful. Cheers, @Skaul.

1 Like

-ascend its good to have a hireling and use some exp affix to climb up at level 50 and use your main item for do it and remove your hireling for faster exp
-farming ā€œYesā€ :smiley:
-one question it is better to use the fortune bringer and the hireling will kill them

1 Like