Recognizing the Best Items

When I get the chance, ill take a look at the bow examples you posted ( if they are still in your inventory/stash ) and then explain what the math for each is.

I agree that just choosing which items to use, and figuring out which is more powerful is waaaay to complicated and time-consuming. I love this game, but it makes my head hurt on a regular basis :neutral_face:

Thanks, that would be great. An itemized explanation of the comparison results and how they were obtained would go a long way to shutting me up about this subject! LOL. Though now I pretty much understand which enhancements are not calculated, I still can’t wrap my head around the reported results of what is calculated.

I have saved the bows for this purpose, but I’ve gained a few levels and entered Act II since that post. Also, again, it’s many different items that compare like this, it’s not just the odd item every now and then. Of course, if I know how the results are calculated, I should be able to choose the better items more quickly. I long for the comparison summary results to make more sense!

But, as you can see by the previous post (quoted below), I think this is an issue for others as well. I just get the feeling no one has stepped up and said anything and, most people just ignore the comparison summary at this point. Maybe a straight out comparison would be more prudent.

Unless there is a strong reason not to, let us decide which items we want based on a comparison of the raw data, not projections and assumptions. As the comparison system now stands, I don’t think it is being utilized (if others are indeed understanding and using it now, please chime in).

[size=175][color=#BF0000]Truer words have not been spoken.[/color][/size] :smiley:

I’m glad it’s not just me, I thought I was missing something obvious.

People have been helpful with tricks on how to figure out the best item to use, but we shouldn’t have to resort to tricks, it should be more obvious.

Thanks, that would be great. An itemized explanation of the comparison results and how they were obtained would go a long way to shutting me up about this subject! LOL. Though now I pretty much understand which enhancements are not calculated, I still can’t wrap my head around the reported results of what is calculated.

I have saved the bows for this purpose, but I’ve gained a few levels and entered Act II since that post. Also, again, it’s many different items that compare like this, it’s not just the odd item every now and then. Of course, if I know how the results are calculated, I should be able to choose the better items more quickly. I long for the comparison summary results to make more sense!

But, as you can see by the previous post (quoted below), I think this is an issue for others as well. I just get the feeling no one has stepped up and said anything and, most people just ignore the comparison summary at this point. Maybe a straight out comparison would be more prudent.

Unless there is a strong reason not to, let us decide which items we want based on a comparison of the raw data, not projections and assumptions. As the comparison system now stands, I don’t think it is being utilized (if others are indeed understanding and using it now, please chime in).
[/quote]

Here’s the math for your two bows :smile: Basically, your power stat is minimizing the difference between weapons at your level. So while one bow has a much higher DPS number, you’re ending up doing roughly the same damage. This changes a bit more later on when multipliers on weapons are higher.

Before:
“Magic Bow”
Main Hand: 47.5
Power ( 56 power points * 25 ): 1400
Element Bonus Multi: 1.106
Total Mainhand Damage ( (MH + Power) * Element Bonus ): 1602
Speed: 30
Multi: 1
Hit: 1.5
Anim Duration: 40
Animation Attacks Per Second (60/Anim Duration): 1.5
Total Attacks Per Second ((1+Speed/60)Animation Attacks Per Second): 2.406
Skill Damage ( TMD * Multi ): 1602
Area
SpeedDamage ( TAPS * Hit * Skill Damage ): 5782
Damage from Crit (ASD
(Crit/100)*((CritDmg+50)/100)): 1143
Total DPS: 6925

After:
“Rare Bow”
Main Hand: 237.6
Power ( 56 power points * 25 ): 1400
Element Bonus Multi: 1
Total Mainhand Damage ( (MH + Power) * Element Bonus ): 1637
Speed: 36.25
Multi: 1
Hit: 1.5
Anim Duration: 40
Animation Attacks Per Second (60/Anim Duration): 1.5
Total Attacks Per Second ((1+Speed/60)Animation Attacks Per Second): 2.406
Skill Damage ( TMD * Multi ): 1637
Area
SpeedDamage ( TAPS * Hit * Skill Damage ): 5910
Damage from Crit (ASD
(Crit/100)*((CritDmg+50)/100)): 1168
Total DPS: 7079

Ratio (After/Before): 7079 / 6925

Mathematics :unamused:

[quote=“SteigerBox”]…Here’s the math for your two bows :smile: Basically, your power stat is minimizing the difference between weapons at your level. So while one bow has a much higher DPS number, you’re ending up doing roughly the same damage. This changes a bit more later on when multipliers on weapons are higher…
…
…
…
…Ratio (After/Before): 7079 / 6925[/quote]
Perfect, exactly what I needed to know. I’ll run the math later for myself to get a better understanding.

I also didn’t know Power’s exact effects (or the other Skills), so I’ll dig around in the forums and get a better understanding of how everything works together. I’m getting to the point of needing to tweak my toon. She kicks butt right now, but I have a feeling that’s going to stop soon, unless I maximize her abilities.

Thank you! Back to the DQ salt mines.

[color=#FF0000]EDITED:[/color]

I respec-ed my rogue to see what effect this would have and the difference in the 2 bows’ DPS grew to about 16% (it was about 4% at my current level with my old power point distribution). I still haven’t run the numbers, but if the new numbers made that much of a difference, I have a lot more to learn about DQ.

When I first played, a year or two ago, I dismissed DQ as a mindless shooter, now I can see there is a lot of strategy involved to get your toon to where you want it and, so many variations to choose from.

I have a lot of learning and research and playing to do; three of the things I like best in these games! :smiley:

1 Like