Recognizing the Best Items

I have been playing the Android version of DQ off and on for years. Initially, I was perturbed because of the IAP (and a decimal point placement error by the developer). But, as I’m sure everyone here knows, DQ has that “just one more level before quitting” quality to it - I always return.

I finally decided to take the plunge and spend a few bucks. I generally like to support the developers of games I play often and DQ has become a staple of mine. So far, so good. Now, I’m playing the game with more long-term goals in mind - looking around and exploring all options.

I got my rogue’s level up to the mid 20’s (I never created an account or saved my data, so I started over every time I reinstalled the game) before I discovered the difficulty setting (sorry, my memory is bad and I can’t remember what it is called). I decided to rerun my toon on the first floor and increase the difficulty one step at a time. I wanted to judge the impact on gameplay.

I was completely miffed when I went to clear my inventory. I was using a high level legendary bow worth a lot of scratch, but when I selected a level 1 bow to sell, I noticed the DPS (in the quick-compare stat window) was nearly as high as my good bow. The 1st level bow was worth a whole 12GP! What gives?

Because of this, I started looking around for information on how to choose the best equipment. Some posts said to just slot the most expensive item, some said to go by the DPS summary numbers. I generally, once I decide on my build, keep one item of each type. For example, since I choose a bow-build rogue, I keep the best bow I can find of every elemental type. I like to see the “Effective” message with damage! I want the best DPS possible with the best enchantments, obviously - but now, I’m confused.

I’ve looked around, but I cannot find anything explaining exactly how DPS is calculated and which enhancements are taken into account.

Can someone explain this to me or point me in the right direction (I’ve been playing similar games for 30+ years, so the explanation does not have to be kindergarten style)?

Thanks.

You need to explore Crystals and Mythstones. They replaced Echantment and allow for very detailed item builds.

Along with that, there is a Crystal to change the element of an item. So you don’t need 4, just the one you like and change the element as needed.

As for gold, i never cared what items sold for, but level 20 is too low to worry about it, imo.

I’m not sure if there is a dps calculation out there, but just playing with different items would be my suggestion. Different weapons effect different enemies. So what works on the poison level won’t work the same on the ice level.

All in all, experiment some :wink:

Evolve or Die

Well that’s simple, the affixes yo’re looking for are :

mainhand or offhand :

• dmg%
  • dmg+
  • extra attk (depends of the weapon u’re using)
  • multi attk (increase hits of extra attk, so useless if you’re not using extra attk)
  • elemental dmg%
  • elemental dmg+

Every pieces :

• critical dmg
  • critical rate
  • attk spd
  • elemental dmg%

And some of the others affixes (red) increasing DPS :

• Glasscanon
  • Frostbite (if using ice)

And some of the set affixes (green) increasing DPS :

• BloodMagic, etc

Thanks, both of you.

I generally do that now, but still, the DPS comparison throws me. If I’m understanding this correctly, the DPS is taken off the basic item and does not take affixes into account?

So, for example (referencing my example in the original post), a level 1 bow could theoretically show greater DPS than a level 24 legendary bow, but the level 24 bow would generally be better because it has a lot more enhancements (affixes)?

If that’s the case, then the item comparison summary display would be very misleading. There’s got to be a reason for the comparison summary, but I’m failing to understand what. Should I ignore it, or does it actually serve a legitimate purpose?

It depends of the affixes on the items ofc, an item with DMG% which is applying to the item will have more DPS than one withoout any DMG affix

Show me the 2 items, I can’t guess what you’re talking about :wink:

If you’re able, please feel free to post examples of the item’s you’re comparing. Will explain as much as I can on how the DPS number was calculated and why comparison might show something different.

In general, what you see number wise on the item just takes the weapon’s own affixes and stats into consideration.

Compare works a bit differently. The compare window actually shows the difference between the two items while equipped, and uses the first skill on the weapon to test. Since items and skills are tied together, this seemed like one of the better ways to compare, but we understand it’s far from perfect.

I sold the level 1 bow, but I’m sure (I hope) I can reproduce the comparison. If I’m not mistaken, it was close on a few others as well.

If the comparison only looks at the first skill, this could be part of the reason.

When I get a chance, I will post more detailed information, but now that I have a better idea of what to look for, it may make more sense.

Also, it could very well be I built my toon wrong as I haven’t even thought about that end of the game yet…

Thanks, this gives me a bit to contemplate.

Generally though, it sounds like the comparison is a good yardstick for item quality. That alone will help.

I didn’t look for another bow, but I found a different example of comparing items. Of course the stats are not the same as with a weapon, but I think this demonstrates how the summary comparison can be deceptive, and in turn, confusing.

In the pic below, I am comparing the default level 1 amulet with a level 17 magic amulet. For some reason, the summary shows that the default 3 AR amulet somehow imparts a +2.9% DPS increase over the magic amulet and, a 0.9% decrease in protection.

This is equipped on a level 9 wizard.

Is this comparison somehow accurate; am I misunderstanding something? I’m not sure how this amulet would even affect DPS. The bow I mentioned demonstrated similar results.

Sorry, I’m not trying to be a pain, I’m just trying to understand!

[quote=“Trasd”]I didn’t look for another bow, but I found a different example of comparing items. Of course the stats are not the same as with a weapon, but I think this demonstrates how the summary comparison can be deceptive, and in turn, confusing.

In the pic below, I am comparing the default level 1 amulet with a level 17 magic amulet. For some reason, the summary shows that the default 3 AR amulet somehow imparts a +2.9% DPS increase over the magic amulet and, a 0.9% decrease in protection.

This is equipped on a level 9 wizard.

Is this comparison somehow accurate; am I misunderstanding something? I’m not sure how this amulet would even affect DPS. The bow I mentioned demonstrated similar results.

Sorry, I’m not trying to be a pain, I’m just trying to understand![/quote]

Well for this one idk, maybe are you using rage set which increase dmg by your armor? or something like that? :smile:

Post your bows! :smile:

This is a basic wizard build with no item above magic and the only things I’ve done is raise his stats when I level. As far as I know, I have no parts of any sets.

As I’ve previously stated, I sold the bow, but the concept and concern is exactly the same. This happens quite a bit - the item comparison summary is suspect.

I am just looking for a way to quickly judge the overall usefulness of an item, whatever the item. Listing all discrepancies individually would serve no purpose at this point.

For now, unless someone comes up with a better way, I will use the summary as a (very) loose approximation and scrutinize all possible replacements in great detail. It would just be nice to have a reliable, automatic comparison or, to better understand the system already in place.

The example you posted is very suspect, will look into that.

Overall, the compare window is at best an approximation. Consider that skill DPS is measured based on a guess of how many targets you hit based on it’s range, and talents, procs, and special affixes arent calculated. Also DPS considerations changed based on the element floor you’re on, and which element you’re using.

If there’s any additional stats that we aren’t providing yet, that’s reasonable to place on the stat page, please let us know :smile:

1 Like

The example you posted is very suspect, will look into that.

Overall, the compare window is at best an approximation. Consider that skill DPS is measured based on a guess of how many targets you hit based on it’s range, and talents, procs, and special affixes arent calculated. Also DPS considerations changed based on the element floor you’re on, and which element you’re using.

If there’s any additional stats that we aren’t providing yet, that’s reasonable to place on the stat page, please let us know :smile:[/quote]
Thanks. Let me know the results of your inquiry into the calculations, but this isn’t a rare atypical result either, FYI.

That’s exactly what I need to know too, BTW. :smiley:

Thanks again. I’m really enjoying the game and can’t wait to start getting some of those stats that high-level players are posting.

I reproduced what you say with the slight DPS inconsistencies. Had me boggled for a bit, but then I remembered Natures :smile:

Some items have Natures that will increase your DPS number, like Haste, Stength, Death, etc.

I realize we don’t have the exact numbers that Natures give shown in the game, but we’ll be at the very least putting these values in the Codex’s Dictionary ( new 1.7 feature ).

1 Like

[quote=“SteigerBox”]I reproduced what you say with the slight DPS inconsistencies. Had me boggled for a bit, but then I remembered Natures :smile:

Some items have Natures that will increase your DPS number, like Haste, Stength, Death, etc.

I realize we don’t have the exact numbers that Natures give shown in the game, but we’ll be at the very least putting these values in the Codex’s Dictionary ( new 1.7 feature ).[/quote]
Ah, OK, so there is a legitimate reason.

So basically, what I’m understanding is that I can safely rely on the comparison summary for quick decisions, but I should still scrutinize the details for specific character-related effects?

As far as the bow, that may have been related to the details of my build and, the actual enhancements and their enumerated list order?

Does that sound about right? If so, then I need not alter my item selection process as that’s how I’ve been doing it.

If I find another weapon discrepancy, I will post the weapons’ stats.

Thanks for the clarification and research.

EDITED:
But, this raises another question for me that isn’t necessary connected with the summary confusion:

In the amulet example, shouldn’t the magic amulet offer much greater protection? Its AR value is 52.02 as compared to the default amulet’s AR of 3 - I assume AR means armor rating, but apparently, based of these numbers, it doesn’t or my protection would be a lot higher with the better amulet.

Are these abbreviations explained somewhere?

Well, I was all excited to start playing again and be able to apply my new found knowledge! Unfortunately, everything I thought I knew went out the window when I picked up another 12GP level 1 bow that could hold its own against a level 20 540GP bow.

The level 1 bow claims it does 112 DPS and the level 20 says it does 535 DPS, but the comparison summary says the level 1 bow only does 2.2% less DPS than the level 20 bow. Not only that, it cost ⅓ the MP to use.

The first pic is from Floor 1, Enemy Power 1 and the second pic is from Floor 23, Enemy Power 1. At first, I thought it was because of the bows’ elemental enhancement, but Floor 1’s enemy is susceptible to electricity, which is on the level 20 bow (Floor 23 creatures are susceptible to arcane as well, which is on the level 1 bow).

Am I still not understanding DPS in this game? In all other RPG-type games I play, the level 20 bow should out strip the level 1 bow in every conceivable way. I don’t think it’s just the calculation either because the level 1 bow does a decent job on Floor 23! The error must be mine.

I realize this is not my Legendary bow, but shouldn’t the level 20 bow be much better because of its higher DPS and elemental damage on these levels?

I’m so confused…

Floor 1, Enemy Power 1

Floor 23, Enemy Power 1

Hmm well this happens to me too…did you try to click it again or even just check your damage and see the difference:)

Yes, I swapped them in and out, check the two against each other on different floors, etc.

The actual damage (up to 62 on the level 1 and up to 300 on the level 20) only confuses me more.

I’m back to not trusting the comparison summary, at all, though I know other things affect the outcome.

I would think the level 20 bow would have a much, much better DPS than the level 1 bow, given all I’ve found out.

True but you can see the difference if your good in maths[emoji24] [emoji23]

BunnyFuffu , Rogue Level 85

also if your maxing power of course your bow is gonna have more dmg at lvl 20 there is big difference here.

BunnyFuffu , Rogue Level 85

Yes, but the idea here is not to have to spend a lot of time doing the math, but being able to use the tools presented as they are meant to be used.

Exactly the issue, but it’s not being shown - it’s only showing a 2.2% DPS difference.

Based on this and the summary display, if I’m not worried about the extras, the 12GP, level 1, 112 DPS bow would be a better choice as it uses much less MP for only a 2.2% DPS drop. But, since “DPS considerations changed based on the element floor you’re on, and which element you’re using,” the level 20 bow’s DPS should be much higher in the summary display because of its elemental damage (electric, which the creatures there are susceptible to).

Strip out the extras that do not affect DPS or the DPS calculation, and the bows are basically the same, at lease according to the comparison, but we know by our own math, this is not the case.

What it boils down to is either the DPS calculation formula for the comparison needs to be revised or a better explanation given. As it is, I cannot trust it or my interpretation of the results.