The Wizard DoT Master: Sorcery, Fester, & Inferno

this is for Wizard Builds.

Fester is a Wizard Talent that increases the speed & duration of Elemental DoT’s by 2.5% per Rank for 4 seconds per hit. for example, Fire Dot lasts for 2 seconds and does 40% of the DMG dealt as DoT each second. with Fester 40, Fire DoT lasts 4 seconds and does 40% of DMG dealt as DoT two times a second. basically, Fester increases the DPS of Fire & Poison, which is what I am focused on.

Sorcery is a Wizard Talent that increases the effect of Element DoT’s by +5% per Rank. Sorcery 40 increases Element DoT by +200%. Fire DoT goes from 40% of DMG dealt a second for 2 seconds to 120% of DMG dealt a second for 2 seconds. Poison goes from 10% of DMG dealt a second for 8 seconds to 30% of DMG dealt a second for 8 seconds.

Inferno is a Set Affix available to all Classes. it increases the ED% of Fire Weapons by +10% per Rank and the speed of DoT for Fire Weapons by +10% per Rank.

a Wizard with Sorcery 40 and Fester 40 with Inferno (5) can become a Wizard DoT Master!

first I need to look at Fester & Inferno together for increasing the speed & duration of Fire DoT. Fester 40 increases Fire DoT +100%, from one tic a second to 2 tics a second. Inferno (5) increases fire DoT +50%. 2 x 1.5 = 3, or 3 tics a second. I am now doing 40% of Fire DMG dealt three times a second for 4 seconds.

when I add Sorcery 40 which adds +200% DoT effect, Fire DoT 40 x 3 = 120, or 120%.
Fire DoT now does 120% of Fire DMG dealt three times a second for 4 seconds.

for the Mastery part of the Build we add Poison. with out Inferno (it only works with Fire Weapons) Poison Weapons do 30% of Poison DMG dealt 2 times a second for 4 seconds and then 30% of Poison DMG dealt 1 times a second for another 8 seconds. (I found a post where the 12 seconds total is mentioned, which would explain the extra 4 seconds from Festers +100% DoT duration for 4 seconds). thinking about it, it is possible that it is two tics a second for 8 seconds and then 4 seconds with 1 tic a second. I say this since 4 seconds of 2 tics a second are doubled with Fester 40, with an extra 4 seconds of normal Poison DoT at the end.

now lets look at Immolate & Toxic, the Elemental Crit for Fire & Poison.

Immolate is a DoT based on Fire Element that does +100% of Fire DoT dealt as Immolation 1 tic a second for 4 seconds. 40% Fire DoT becomes 80% Immolation DoT. the 120% Fire DoT from the above examples would become 240% Immolation DoT. Immolate is a single target effect.

Toxic is a DoT based on Poison Element that does 400% of Poison DoT dealt as Toxic 1 tic a second for 5 seconds. 10% Poison DoT becomes 40% Toxic DoT. the 30% Poison DoT from the above examples would become 120% Toxic DoT. Toxic manifests as a small AoE around the target. a mob of targets in close proximity to each other can be affected my multiple Toxic Clouds.

now lets look at Blistering & Blight, the Elemental Crit DMG for Fire & Poison.

Blistering makes Immolate cause +100% Bleed DoT. you can have up to 6 Blistering on your Gears for +600% Blistering. 240% Immolate would give 480% Bleed with one Blistering. Bleed DoT lasts 10 seconds. that would be 480% Immolation DoT dealt as Bleed 1 times a second for 10 seconds. 6 Blistering is 1680% Immolation DoT dealt as Bleed 1 times a second for 10 seconds.

Blight increases the DoT of Toxic by +100%. you can have up to 6 Blight on your Gears for +600% Blight. 120% Toxic would be 240% Toxic with one Blight. 6 Blight is 840% Toxic DoT a second for 5 seconds.

just doing this much for a Fire & Poison Build would take up a bit of space. for those who want to try for even more DoT:

Bleed: Epic +50% Bleed DMG & Vampiric Touch Set can increase Bleed DMG.
Immolate: Legend +50% Immolate, Crushing Flames Set, & Crushing Flames Set Bonus can increase Immolate DMG.
Poison: Plagued & Druidic Sets can increase the DMG of Poison DoT.

don’t forget to have some Fire & Poison ED% on the Build for even more DoT DMG and some Elemental Crit to get Immolate & Toxic!

looking at some numbers to make the Build more understandable, we will use a Fire Weapon doing an imaginary 1000 DMG in one hit with Sorcery 40, Fester 40, & Inferno

1000 Fire DMG.
(1200 x 3) x 4 = 14,400 Fire DoT.
(1200 x 2) x 4 = 9600 Immolate DoT. (pretend only got one Elemental Crit.)
(9600 x 2) x 10 = 192,000 Bleed DoT. (pretend only have one Blistering.)

1000 + 14,000 + 9600 + 192,000 = 216,600 DMG with just one hit. for those of you whose Weapons do a million DMG, just add 3 zeroes to get an idea of what is possible with your Wizard!.

the way DoT works, multiples of the same Element DoT don’t stack. but DoT’s from different Elements do stack. on top of that, the highest DMG DoT of each Element is used until it’s duration is over and then the next attacks highest DMG DoT is used again. although I wrote it that way, Bleed isn’t an Element. also, until further notice from a Dev, I consider Immolate to be a different DoT from Fire DoT, and Toxic DoT different from Poison DoT.

3 Likes

Wizard op. I mean gandalf :joy: . Buff em and buff em more. Good guide, and don’t forget the Immolation DMG affix for fire as well, Blistering, Crushing flames set, etc.

2 Likes