Theorycraft, or How to Destroy the [Game] World

I actually switched to Mana after I noticed this. EHP jumped from 900k to 2.5m :smiley:

Iā€™m not quite sure what youā€™re on about. Iā€™ve been using a Sword since v1.3 almost exclusively, and itā€™s always had an area of effect. That area is small, and directly in front of the player, but AoE nonetheless. 6.7 APS was also a bit OP before proc rates were normalized (Earthshatter procing 3 times per second was pretty crazy while it lasted), but still reaps benefits from Crushing Blow.

If youā€™re going to tell me to use a Hammer, this is where we part ways. Having to stand in place for 0.6s every time you tap attack (and thatā€™s at max attack speed) absolutely destroys your grinding rhythm. Iā€™d rather just kill everything with Sprint and Torrent.

If Sword has an AE then its so small than when I tried it out way back when it didnt seem like it did and I shelved it. My apologies if it does, but if itā€™s that small then my point still stands ā€“ itā€™s rubbish if its just hitting a couple of monsters.

Iā€™m also not going to tell you to use Hammer Skills for the reason you mentioned ā€“ part of your overall killing speed is how quickly you can get from Monster Pack 1 to Monster Pack 2 once [or while] Monster Pack 1 dies. I might tell you to use a Hammer thoughā€¦

The suspense builds.

continues to hunt for a Cerberus

The suspense builds.

continues to hunt for a Cerberus[/quote]

Edited to add section on selection of primary skill [specifically for warrior but logic can apply to Rogue/Wizard and Iā€™ll add those sections in detail eventually]. Also added the big reveal for the ā€œUse a Hammer, donā€™t use Hammer Skillsā€ teaser above :smile:

Holy crap, you can move while using Whirlwind. (!)

Plaguebringer is starting to look pretty good.

Update:
You can also move while using the Mythic skill Cylone, which can be spammed, deals 500% damage, and sucks in all enemies in besides. It canā€™t be increased with Hero skills, but itā€™s already doing 2.5x as much damage as Whirlwind anyway.

[quote=ā€œLithiusā€]Holy crap, you can move while using Whirlwind. (!)

Plaguebringer is starting to look pretty good.

Update:
You can also move while using the Mythic skill Cylone, which can be spammed, deals 500% damage, and sucks in all enemies in besides. It canā€™t be increased with Hero skills, but itā€™s already doing 2.5x as much damage as Whirlwind anyway.[/quote]

Thatā€™s the point of the build I posted weeks ago :unamused:

Just a small rectification : cyclone isnā€™t dealing 2.5x more dmg than whirlwind, actually mythic skills are already at lvl 40 (cyclone = whirlwind lvl 40)
So if you get whirlwind level 40 itā€™s as powerful as cyclone :unamused:

1 Like

For the Rogue, Iā€™ve experience in each oe albeit not in-depht

Quickattack has the smallest AoE of all and is jyst awful
Blinkstrike is ok, but it does a pathetic amount of damage

GuidedShot fires fairly quickly and does decent dmg, pierces enemies, and has homing capabilities
Multishot has like 600% weapon dmg last time i remember and a very good range, may be a good special
er
Richoshet would be a poor choice for the main skill as it does low damage and has no AoE
Scatteshot blinds enemies, has a good AoE range, and 600% WD

Boomerang does good damage, and with good enough attk speed & celebrity, fires very quickly! It also pierces enemies and returns to you, so you donā€™t have to stand still the whole time your casting.
Whirling Blades is great when your in the center of a large mob, but other than that, mehā€¦

Overall, I feel that with about 30% attk spd, boomerang is best main skill; Multishot (since it doesnt stun albeit hero points add knockback) is best main-hand special. Of course, this does NOT account for her points system. If your uncomfortable with Boomerang, guided shots your only other option.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention that according to JesteR, Periphary is a must for chakram skills

1 Like

I believe that you can mitigate the problem with Ricochet by equipping at least one Zenith on your armor. Maybe Iā€™m still getting used to 1.7, but it feels like Iā€™m mowing down the mobs right now, doing high 200 carta maps on EP8 (and I didnā€™t think my rogue DPS was all that good).

Hero points into Ricochet definitely make it aoe, it would be a chain aoe. But that still doesnā€™t necessarily make it a good one.

[quote=ā€œDiieterā€]Just a small rectification : cyclone isnā€™t dealing 2.5x more dmg than whirlwind, actually mythic skills are already at lvl 40 (cyclone = whirlwind lvl 40)
So if you get whirlwind level 40 itā€™s as powerful as cyclone :unamused:[/quote]
Quick follow-up question: do Extra Attack Chance and Multi-Attack affect Mythic skills? Secondary skills in general?

[quote=ā€œLithiusā€][quote=ā€œDiieterā€]Just a small rectification : cyclone isnā€™t dealing 2.5x more dmg than whirlwind, actually mythic skills are already at lvl 40 (cyclone = whirlwind lvl 40)
So if you get whirlwind level 40 itā€™s as powerful as cyclone :unamused:[/quote]
Quick follow-up question: do Extra Attack Chance and Multi-Attack affect Mythic skills? Secondary skills in general?[/quote]

Nope, EAC and MA only affect Primary Skills, not Special. Definitely something to consider when planning your build :smile:

Since this is a theorycrafting thread, another quick question:

Does Weapon DMG % affect both weapons, or only the weapon it is affixed to? In v1.6, Weapon DMG % on the offhand weapon seemed to affect both weapons, but in v1.7, Weapon DMG + clearly doesnā€™t, so Iā€™m wondering if Weapon DMG % was changed so that it doesnā€™t either.

rougesā€¦

MH weapons

BOW
Guided shot -> with guided shot + 4 multishot(affix) + ambush and ensnaring talentā€¦ which gives you the edge over the dps category imhoā€¦
extra shots are still hitting the enemy while you fire your next shotā€¦ thus, giving you the fastest attack speed in game if youā€™re hitting only one enemyā€¦

Multi-shot -> seems like a scatter shot replicaā€¦ where you fire an aoe in front of you dealing 600% mh damageā€¦ itā€™s a good specialā€¦ but would not recommend it for late game build thoughā€¦ :confused:

DAGGER
Quick attack -> small ae successionā€¦ small amount of damage and still canā€™t find a way to make it more strong atmā€¦ so i guess iā€™ll reserve my comments on this sweet weapon for nowā€¦

blinkstrike -> instantly blinks to the nearest enemy saving you the time to go near themā€¦ quite a good burst damage but not that good enough to make it worth it though imhoā€¦

FLINTLOCK

Ricochet -> just like bow, but has a faster dps on a single enemiesā€¦ not that effective when it comes to hoards of enemyā€¦
but pistoleer and rebound talent support this weapon which kind of gives it an edgeā€¦ combine it with ambush and ensnaring and youā€™ll have traps spawning everywhere on map :smile:

Scattershot -> bucanneer set affix strongly support this special mhā€¦ which makes its damage sky rocket and used by some to fend of some hoards of enemyā€¦

CHAKRAM

Boomerang -> celebrity & blindside talent combo and periphery set affix is badly needed for the boomerang to truly shineā€¦
it has higher damage compared to other rougeā€™s weaponā€¦ pair it with stealth or mirror imageā€¦ youā€™ll be killing mobs instantly :smile:
on the other hand, because the chakram doesnā€™t return when it hits the wall-- its blindside and pheriphery wonā€™t proc in returnā€¦
so youā€™ll have to strategically place yourself in a good position before releasing those deadly weapons :smile:

Whirlwind -> never use this one with chakram imho, due to not being able to attack once activatedā€¦ gives a lag time for me to device my plan and my next moveā€¦ but quite a good aoe imoā€¦

OH weapons

VIAL

Coat weapon -> when activated 100% elem crit and crit% for 2 sec is really good, i mean too good for rouge, use it strategically and it would really shine offensively among the other OH weaponā€¦

Stealh -> this skill is what makes a rougeā€¦ basicallyā€“a ROUGEā€¦ this skill gives you 2 sec invincibility which would be a great lee-way to escape or attack your opponentsā€¦
pair it with veil talent and youā€™ll have 4 sec time to fend of those nasty explosion and mobs at hand :I

BOMB

vault -> well, i got to reserve comments on this oneā€¦ after being nerfedā€¦ i guess i donā€™t use this atmā€¦

smokebomb -> just like vaultā€¦

MIRROR

swap -> basically, youā€™ll need a mirror image for this to workā€¦ so its quite useless imhoā€¦ i guess, they could change this one for the better in the future? i donā€™t knowā€¦ its for them to decide :smile:

mirror image -> doubles your capacity to damage foesā€¦ good with chakram and special MH spammingā€¦ bad at normal attack with bow nor pistol with multi-attackā€¦ itā€™s like an assassin skillā€¦ think of this OH special as double burst imho :smile:
pair it with trickster and mirror image proc and those mobs would cry for your mercyā€¦ hua hua hua :smile:

TRAP

laytrap -> i basically love traps as a part talent of rouges such as ensnaring and ambushā€¦ pair it with fast attack and youā€™ll have this baby spawning everywhere on map

sentry -> no idea about this oneā€¦ but i guess it can be compared to time warp of the wizard where mobs are stunned within the parameterā€¦
good for repositioning your characterā€¦

well, this can be my feedback on rougeā€¦ :I
hope it can be some of help though

Since this is a theorycrafting thread, another quick question:

Does Weapon DMG % affect both weapons, or only the weapon it is affixed to? In v1.6, Weapon DMG % on the offhand weapon seemed to affect both weapons, but in v1.7, Weapon DMG + clearly doesnā€™t, so Iā€™m wondering if Weapon DMG % was changed so that it doesnā€™t either.[/quote]

Weapon DMG +/% and Mana Cost are weapon specific affixes, and shouldnā€™t have ever affected both weapons.

Iā€™ve got both on both >_< My Torrent damage is pretty nice, though :wink: I guess the old DPS was composite of all skills, which is why it looked like it went up, when only Sprint and Torrent were affected.

Aside: Any word on Flurry skill points? Adding points into Flurry has literally no effect.

Added offhand section and start of DPS section (primarily dealing with sets presently). As always, more to come. Also a big thanks to folks who have posted info on rogues/wizards and keep it coming! Iā€™m going to try to at least get a rough version of the entire DPS section done before I go back to incorporate but itā€™s already looking very helpful!

How is this not stickied yet? Would be nice to be able to access this In-game from the codex, too. Itā€™s that good. And not even done yet!

Oh, BTW. Tricksterā€¦ I think I use mirage with my rogue and trickster (3). I often get 4 mirror images surrounding my rogue. Reallllly fun in a hallway with traps and ambush. Just my .02.

Great post. Subscribed.

You can swap with enemies too, not just your mirror image so itā€™s good for dodging attacks. :smile: