Using Obsidian

I was recently asked about how to use Obsidian in a PM, and decided to do some of my own tests (oh!! :sob: my Obsidians are fewer now!!!) and answer in the Community Forum.

it is best to use Obsidian on a Legend Item. when rerolling affix stats on a Legend Item, the values normally wont go below 75% of the affixes max value, which makes it easier to get the higher or max values. non Legend items, even with +25% Item Quality, will give you a random number from the minimum value to the highest, so you would have to be really lucky to get a max value without spending lots of Crystals.

as long as there is at least one space on an item, you can put a Crystal affix on it.

there can only be one Crystal affix on each item.

Obsidian can’t be used on Eternal items or any Pet.

if an item has a Normal (Yellow) or Epic (Orange) affix, or a Myth Stone affix that is the same as the one you are trying to get with Obsidian, it wont show up. so if I wanted Crystal Attack Speed, I wouldn’t get it if I have Epic Attack Speed or Attack Speed from a Myth Stone. I could put Crystal Attack Speed on an item, and later put an Attack Speed Myth Stone in a Socket on the same item.

Tests: placing Obsidian on items…

Level 85 item with 0 affix: 5 choices.
Level 85 item with 5 affixes: 4 choices.
Level 85 Legend item with 5 affixes (one is Set affix): 5 choices.
Level 100 item with 0 affix: 5 choices.
Level 100 item with 5 affixes: 4 choices.
Level 100 Legend item with 5 affixes (no Set affix): 5 choices.
Level 100 Legend item with 5 affixes (1 Set affix & 1 Set Bonus affix): 4 choices.
Level 100 Legend item with 5 affixes (with 1 Set affix): 5 choices.
Level 100 Legend item with 1 affix (I think this has to be a Legend or Set affix, or the item becomes a non Legend item. this happened to me once when I was a Noob, but I haven’t really tested it again to see if it would happen again): it has been awhile since I used an Obsidian on a Legend item stripped down to 1 affix, but if I remember correctly, it was 5 choices.

I didn’t do any tests on any item with 2-4 affixes, as I didn’t want to blow a lot of Obsidian on tests. it looks like the number of choices you get is conditional on what is on the item and what the item is.

Edit: I recently made an all Epic Affix Epic Item and decided to put a Crystal Affix on it. it is level 100 and +25% IQ (it was a Chest Item). I took off 1 affix and then rolled the Obsidian. only had 3 choices :astonished:!!! yes, I was kind of shocked and upset. what I did notice was that the other 5 Epic Affixes on the item were all on the Crystal Affix List. this was only one item, but I would guess that the number of affixes on an item that are on the Crystal Affix List can affect the number of choices you have using Obsidian.

6 Likes

Thaaanks bro, you really put an effort to answer my question :sob: I really appreciate it.

1 Like

It better too put obsidian when u only have 1 affix (will give u 5 choice)

When u have 4 affix it will give u 3 choice

I have never had less than 4 choices when using Obsidian. just used a bunch more to make an Ice Reactor - Skull Crushing Flames Crystal & Myth Stone Farming Build.

1 Like

Best to use obsidian on an item with one affix that cannot be rolled by chrystals.

1 Like

well, when I was putting Obsidian’s on the Items for Golem’s Latest Crystal & Myth Stone Farming Build, I noticed some more differences between Legend items when it comes to getting 4 or 5 choices using Obsidian that I hadn’t tested due to the lack of Obsidians. if I had 300 of them, I would do a thorough test. because as all players know, no one likes to waste Obsidians!!!. now I am down to around 30ish Obsidians, so I need to rebuild my stock of Crystals.

on a side note, I spent over 3k Larimar, and over 1k total of Angelite, Kyanite, & Topaz to get Stealth on my Scout (for the Golem’s Latest Crystal & Myth Stone Farming Build I mentioned earlier), and I am learning a little about using it on my Wizard. I don’t get Perma Dodge with it, but this is the first time I have used Stealth regularly on any Class. with 58% Dodge & Block, it is all about timing, so this is an interesting learning experience. usually I just blow things up with my Wizard Spells, so using a Spell that cuts my DMG in half is kind of weird…ok, Very Weird!!!

2 Likes

Golem it’s time to start posting guides :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have a few in my head, but I haven’t done any tests, just what I have observed. thinking of doing a test for Blood Magic & Equality really soon and posting. hopefully by the weekend, since with all the recent posts, I really want to know. especially because the thought of BM & Equality looks like a great idea.

1 Like

Trust me it works but I await your scientific results with great interest.

1 Like

well, reading online while in the Forum, and thinking of the easiest tests to do to get the info I want so I can share it soonest. I used Equality & Equivalence during my Wizards Ascending and some early PVP with that Build, so I do like it, so I think Equality & Blood Magic is some good info to have.

2 Likes

recently only had 3 choices with Obsidian. Edit: in original Post.

1 Like

Before using obsidian remove all affixes apart from required legend and / or bonus. It will generate 4 options. Add a mythic it becomes 3 etc

1 Like

Now if you want to craft a blank item . Obsidian gives you six choices. Then reroll to perfection with diamond. Then add four sockets for mythic . Add legend with amythists. Then rock and roll.

1 Like

well, I usually get 4 or 5 choices, and haven’t really tried to figure out how to get 5 all the time, or if it is even possible to get 6 choices. but this was the first time I only got 3 choices. and as you can see in the original post, an item with zero affixes and some items with five affixes had 5 choices. if the number of affixes on an item that are also on the Crystal Affix List have an effect on the number of choices you have when using Obsidian, that would explain some of the results in the original post.

I have a feeling, as far as Epic and Crystal affixes go for Crafting purposes, that the 5 Epic affixes on the item took 5 choices away from the Crystal affix list, leaving about 14 affixes to choose from, that some algorithm lowered the number of choices I get even further.

2 Likes

I wonder … You know when you want to roll a certain nature/ element on all your items then it is bloody hard to get. In a limited chrystalline affix pool they just make it harder to get ? I’ve noticed the same problem.

2 Likes

well, there is a 25% random chance for the Element you want to show up using Calcite, and only 2 random choices out of 6 when changing Talents on Chest, Head, Ring, and Neck, 2 random choices out of 8 when changing Natures, and 3 random choices out of 12 when changing Special Skills on MH & OH. and of course, the choices don’t include what you are changing from!

1 Like

For example say I want another class set and bonus then add a mythic and then gamble on a chrystalline. The item has very few ways to go. But if you can deactivate the set by removing the set and replacing it elsewhere. Then it opens things up in a PvP frame of mind.

1 Like

there are very few reasons for that scenario. like a Set Bonus that has a different requirement than the Set affix to activate. or you make a mistake and realize you need the Set to activate the Bonus (I did this with Nadroji Bonus once), or you clicked on a Set and took it off by accident instead of another affix, or taking off the Set is the lesser of 2 Evils when crafting a Build (like taking off Nadroji Set to save the +100% ED so you have room for Mythic Affix).

to be honest @dickwad , in your scenario, the main problem would be if the Crystal affix wasn’t what you wanted in your Build at all, and using Quartz to take if off is a bad idea, unless you are willing to take the low chance of saving the item with a high chance of destroying it for what you wanted it for in the first place.

1 Like

i know it has been a long time for this topic, but the latest Patch improved the use of Obsidian in Crafting our Builds. as i had very little access to wi-fi, it took me a few weeks to figure out how to use the new Obsidian ability.

Obsidian can now be used to improve the value of Crystal Affixes! very awesome! :joy_cat:. the problem for me was that i couldn’t get it to work. after many weeks, and totally by accident, i discovered that you need at least one blank space on your item to use Obsidian to improve the Crystal Affix.

i hope this can help others who are still trying to figure out how to use Obsidian new ability.

3 Likes

Same here. This is worth noting :+1:

1 Like