When you were new to Dungeon Quest

would be kind of cool if there were a prolouge…

indicating that there’s somehow a cheesy generic story before ep 1 floor 1

like how the world was ruled by 4 beast, it’s now your duty to save the world blahblahblah…

while on the prolouge…

all that tutorial thing would be there… mmmhm?

[quote=“newb_player”]would be kind of cool if there were a prolouge…

indicating that there’s somehow a cheesy generic story before ep 1 floor 1

like how the world was ruled by 4 beast, it’s now your duty to save the world blahblahblah…

while on the prolouge…

all that tutorial thing would be there… mmmhm?[/quote]
Or that somebody stole your princess, and you need to get her back! Of course, you find out that your princess is on another level. :wink:

I think that a basic tutorial coupled with even the smallest of backstory would be really nice. The things that got me were all the different terms, but the dictionary really helps with that now. For example I kept getting skills and talents confused, and I couldn’t figure out just wtf natures were, things like that.

Thanks for the feedback so far :smile:

It seems that most of you understood the basics well enough, but a lot of the later concepts are unexplained ( which hopefully the new codex helped with some ).

what’s a talent tree 1?
what is the difference of it on talent tree 2 and 3?
why can’t i get 40 on my heroic skill?

guess these are addition to a newb’s question

[quote=“Rubik”]Or that somebody stole your princess, and you need to get her back! Of course, you find out that your princess is on another level. :wink:
That was epic !!! :laughing:

[quote=“newb_player”]what’s a talent tree 1?
what is the difference of it on talent tree 2 and 3?
why can’t i get 40 on my heroic skill?

guess these are addition to a newb’s question[/quote][/quote]
Talent tree one All Chanpions
Talent tree two All Defenders
Talent tree three All Berserkers
Legend affixes

Legend affix +2 all skills x6 + weapon+offhand +4 all skills x2 + 20 hero points :smile: Hard but possible :wink:

According to this thread shinyboxgames.com/NewSite/ph … =31&t=1695

I think we need to put some more explanations on the list.

• What’s quality?
  • What’s the benefit of having high quality?
  • What’s affix?
  • What’s normal/epic/legend/crystal affix?
  • What’s talent?
  • What’s nature?
  • What’s primary/special skill?

[quote=“zzvilzz”]According to this thread Is there a link to explanations of cyrstals?

I think we need to put some more explanations on the list.

• What’s quality?
  • What’s the benefit of having high quality?
  • What’s affix?
  • What’s normal/epic/legend/crystal affix?
  • What’s talent?
  • What’s nature?
  • What’s primary/special skill?[/quote]

would really love to see the current overall cap on that codex :I
and the cap you could get for each affix…
e.g. epic affix dodge can only have 10% at max

[quote=“SteigerBox”]…what parts of the game were hard to understand or figure out?

Did you not know how to equip items?
Did you understand how to use potions and where to buy them?
When did you first use your stat points?
[/quote]

I am new right now! :smile:

I’ve played ARPGs and dungeon crawlers for a fairly long time, so the basic gameplay mechanics were familiar to me. There were a few things that I was “confused” about and couldn’t easily find an answer to:

• I bought a pet (and grumbled about the lack of cats!), and gave it to my first character. I unlocked a second slot and wanted to use my pet with that character, but I could not figure out how to un-equip it, so I bought a second one. My suspicion that it can only be swapped out proved correct (or so I think) when I got a pet as a drop.

• I was puzzled about how to unlock the stash(whose existence I learned of by using the “Move” command) until I scrolled through the locked bag slots and then saw the stash options. I wasn’t sure whether the stash would work like in other games and allow me to transfer items between characters, but assumed so since I didn’t know what else it could be used for. Bought some gold and unlocked the stash to find out.

• I didn’t initially know that you can walk through barrels and chests to open them. I had kept using skills.

• The skill system was a bit confusing to me at first, and I didn’t “get” that skills come from gear and that you don’t get skill points when you level up, only stat points. But that cleared up quickly. I imagine, though, that this is a source of confusion for people who aren’t playing ARPGs regularly.

On the subject of stat points: I was relieved to see a respec option, and then worried when I noticed the respec costs, though that went away when gold drops increased. I feel that the respec costs for a low level character are too high and intimidating. I stopped using points and went to the forum to check out some guides so that I would not hopelessly mess up my character. It kind of prevented me from “just experimenting” and it broke the game flow during that precious window of opportunity where a game can grab the player and pull them in. Perhaps a free respec option at a low level (say, 20?) after the initial “getting into the game” phase?

First, I’ve really never played this type of game before. I played D&D once, played old PC games like Wizardry and King’s Quest, so some of the character “types” had some familiarity. However, when you start getting into mythstones and crystals and all that jazz, I’m lost.

However, I believe you’re asking for a basic “starter” tutorial, and honestly, I’d rather see a “video” than a “hands on” style where it says “you see a weapon on the ground, pass over it to pick it up… move over it now” type stuff. Instead, in the video, just explain that items will drop and you simply move over the item and pick it up, and then show the bag system and how to change things.

Show a maxxed out weapon (not level 100 or anything, just something that has talents, affixes, and all that jazz). Also, SHOW what each of those items are. For instance, I’m looking at Fate’s Travesty. The window shows
Fate’s Travesty
34.6K DPS (is that damage per second or damage per swing) in Yellow
Cleave in light blue or white
The lightning symbol (shock) in light blue or white
HP: 1820 in red
Then I have 5 items in orange
A purple item (mythstone)
Then ILVL and 25.6k next to coins.

One of my items is +4109 Weapon DMG + . I need it explained to me what this does. Does this simply get added to my 34.6K DPS for every strike or second or what? Obviously, each swing doesn’t yield the same amount of damage. Why not? More importantly, is 4109 good or bad? What is the range? Do I need to invest a crystal to reroll the stat (if the range is 4000-10000, then yes. If it’s 100-4200, then no).

How to choose a weapon… Why does an axe with 1000 DPS do more damage than a sword with 1000 DPS?

Also, while the codex is nice, I want something outside the game (a website) where I can search for anything I want. Googling for “dungeon quest” (and whatever other search term) don’t usually take me to the best place.

What is a nature, a talent, a special, etc?

On this website / wiki that I’m dreaming of, there will be a section that explains how the 6 gear items work together. For instance, with my Fates Travesty, I can throw it and an element and it returns to me. What caused that? I had another piece of gear which just threw the item (it didn’t return). I have ARC on one of my other axes and it doesn’t appear to arc when used with the helm that allows me to throw (and return) the axe. I ASSUME “spell sword” is what allows the item to be thrown, but I really just want to search for “spell sword” on a wiki and know exactly what it does.

So, in short, I have two “asks”. One is the tutorial update that you asked about and the other is a comprehensive website/wiki that explains things both in basic terms and also with the huge formulas for those who care to do the math involved. On the gaming screen, the size of data visible is certainly limiting but with a website, that issue is no longer a concern.

Right now (after one day of play) I got a cap that has two gemstone slots or something but I can’t find where they are to put them in. No explanation for that.

Otherwise, I kind of noticed I had to put stat points in after I’d played quite a few levels. I think it’s good to just jump in and play without any cumbersome tutorial. I liked that. I did at one point have a lot of points, and then just put them all in. Once I did that I went across all the tabs and figured out about hero points. When I noticed I had to put stuff in stats, was between dungeon plays and I happened to look at the top left of the screen and see the button. So unless you’re totally clueless, or don’t pay attention to any of the buttons or tabs on a game (which is normal at the beginning, I suppose!), you’ll figure it out eventually.

It’s very easy to figure out how to keep your weapons and gear upgraded and to apply crystals.

Just an fyi, but there is in fact a wiki.

I found the wiki on wikia, is there another, as that one is far from complete.

Regarding the sockets, those are for mythstones. You can buy them with gold in the shop (second section on the left) or pick them up along the way. They are a glowing purple, but may not come out until > level 20 (not sure on that one). When you have a mythstone, it will be in your inventory. They look like rocks with strange markings on them.

We are also working on a tutorial patch on the way. Testers have had it for a bit should be ready shortly! Please continue to let us know what areas need more explanation. It can be hard to see the forest for trees sometimes [emoji51]

I don’t know if a video tutorial can address this, but one thing I am really struggling with is crystal affixes. I have to spend the obsidian crystal to be presented with a list of options, but I don’t have the ability to back out without selecting one of the affixes. The problem is, I don’t really KNOW what a particular affix does. I recently chose “storm” and now I know it’s a snowstorm, but I still don’t really know what purpose it serves or how I can use it to design the perfect warrior. Since it takes several thousand “element” crystals to build up to an obsidian crystal, I don’t want to waste these. With my luck, storm isn’t even a crystal affix, but you get the general idea of what I mean. It could be another affix, a nature, or who knows… I’m still trying to figure out all the differences.

It took me a week to know the game and because I’m a perfectionist, It was hard making a good set. Lol.

1 Like

The game is pretty much repetitive and is sandbox. Isn’t there new contents? I can wait though.

A WEEK? I’ve been playing longer than a week and just when I think I have it figured out, I find something I didn’t know.

1 Like

I read the codex and gave me 20 points, 10 for str and int. Most things where inside it, to understand all of those was difficult but eventually i learned

Good for starting out ep +2-3

Thank you very much for the feedback here! We’ll be releasing a tutorial patch soon to address some of these issues, others we’ll try to point players towards the codex, and the remaining we’ll try to think of ways to address :smile: