Rogues Unite: Periphery

Okay the new Set Affix, Periphery, is out, and it is awesome! Especially since Spell Sword went limp. So let’s do some crowd sourced research on this new, potentially game changing, set affix. Right now it seems that this is one of the few paths Rogues can take, so lets help each other out here!

Periphery: 12.5% chance to spawn a whirling chakram on chakrams return.

I’ve been playing it for a day, and a few things have struck me.

1. Single Boomerang taps, with or without Extra Attack Chance (EAC from now on), produces only one Chakram.
  2. A long Boomerang press, with or without EAC, will throw a maximum of 3 chakrams.
  3. 3 Boomerang taps, produces just 2 chakrams, with or without EAC. Which i find odd, a programming bug maybe? But the 3 Chakrams is probably the bug here.
  4. Whirling Chakram(WC from now on) works differently to the secondary skill Whirling Blades(WB from now on). WC spawns from the outer most layer moving towards the caster, and they come out in a single file. WB starts from caster, swirls to a wider diameter, and comes back to the caster, this produces 2 blades parallel to each other. WB is affected by Periphery, it has a chance to spawn WC.
  5. When Periphery kicks in, there is a chance that 1-8(?)(Not sure it moves too fast to count, but 8 is my best guess) chakrams are produced with or without EAC! I have made a LIMITED test on the probability of chakrams produced, and it seems like the chance or producing 1 chakram to more chakrams decreases as the number of chakrams increases. And it doesnt seem like EAC has an effect on this either. Will perform more indepth tests this week and try to come up with a statistical analysis and possibly a formula. Going to try different levels of Periphery as well.
  6. The Mirror Image’s chakram is not affected by the talent Clerity’s increased chakram return speed, and Periphery doesnt proc on it either.

So my conclusion is, EAC is pretty useless for chakrams and Periphery. Mirror Image will not give you twice/thrice the killing power like it would if you were using SpellSword.

Please post your observations and confirm if my observations are correct. Also is there someone out there who can test Multi-Attack? To see observation #2 and #3, try using Ascendent, it seriously makes everything easier to see.

try increasing your attack speed, i spawn like 6 ~8 chakrams on chakram return :mrgreen:

Interesting. I was just about to remove all my atkspd affixes as it seems like the skill boomerang and clarity’s effect of faster chakram return seems to be the dominatibg factor with how many attacks you make per second.

Im sad this skill isnt getting much love from the community! Or is there just a lack of rogue players? Anyway heres a screeny of what it does! Would do a pic with multiple procs of periphery but its so damned hard to get a screeny of it on my phone. Will look for a video app so i can post a gameplay vid.

Edit: i cant seem to attack the screenshot i got. Any ideason what im doinh wrong? I click add file, loading finishes but nothing.

I love my rogue, but 1) haven’t found any periphery gear, and 2) don’t like playing with chakrams at all. I’ve been having a lot of fun with my revolvers lately, between the use of piercing, high ricochet, and the coatweapon/scattershot combination. If Coatweapon was time-based instead of only lasting for one attack, I’d probably be absolutely loving 1.7.

Also not a huge chakram fan. Pistols. And now, my rogue is my hireling (w storm instead of scattershot and mirror Image on traps)

I used Sudashira (with endow and haste and changed to ice) alongside Elixir for floors 1-200. Then i changed to the Bucanneer Pistols for the % Item Drop.

Still, i would use my chakrams if they had % item drop on them :wink: and their my weapon of choice (with/without Periphary)

[quote=“Ircher”]I used Sudashira (with endow and haste and changed to ice) alongside Elixir for floors 1-200. Then i changed to the Bucanneer Pistols for the % Item Drop.

Still, i would use my chakrams if they had % item drop on them :wink: and their my weapon of choice (with/without Periphary)[/quote]

CS/MS %item drop on to chakrams ?

I used to love pistols, especially with SpellSword and 10 attacks per second, it was like a grenade launcher rather than a pistol. And i used to loath chakrams as well, but Periphery has changed all that! Agree with the CoatWeapon skill. Goodluck getting a Periphery Gear, i have found 2, one on EP5 170+ and the second at EP8 200+.

When you get a Periphery item, please do give it a try! I want to know the observations of other fellow rogue players!

[quote=“Ircher”]I used Sudashira (with endow and haste and changed to ice) alongside Elixir for floors 1-200. Then i changed to the Bucanneer Pistols for the % Item Drop.

Still, i would use my chakrams if they had % item drop on them :wink: and their my weapon of choice (with/without Periphary)[/quote]
Ah then you will love Periphery on your chakrams!

Anyway latest observation, at high Atk Speed bonus i throw out 3 chakrams using boomerang skill, at lower i only throw 2 at a given time. Probably a bug where the attacks are happening too fast and the program releases another chakram before it realizes it already has 2 out. Tried +60 Attack Speed but chakrams thrown using boomerang caps at 3.

Callin out to @JesteR, could you post what discoveries youve made with Periphery?

Seems like I’m one of the few who loves using chakram here and a rogue main user. :laughing: I already have 2 pieces of periphery items (weapon and headgear), and I must say I really like what it does. I already have a build in mind consisting of this six set affixes: Vampiric Touch, Momentum, Rage, Periphery, Blood Magic, Ascendent. (Permafrost on pet). I just need to up my CS and MS resource a little bit. :wink:

[quote=“utakpulvoron”]Okay the new Set Affix, Periphery, is out, and it is awesome! Especially since Spell Sword went limp. So let’s do some crowd sourced research on this new, potentially game changing, set affix. Right now it seems that this is one of the few paths Rogues can take, so lets help each other out here!

Periphery: 12.5% chance to spawn a whirling chakram on chakrams return.

I’ve been playing it for a day, and a few things have struck me.

1. Single Boomerang taps, with or without Extra Attack Chance (EAC from now on), produces only one Chakram.[color=#FF0000]True.[/color]
  2. A long Boomerang press, with or without EAC, will throw a maximum of 3 chakrams.[color=#FF0000]True.[/color]
  3. 3 Boomerang taps, produces just 2 chakrams, with or without EAC. Which i find odd, a programming bug maybe? But the 3 Chakrams is probably the bug here.[color=#FF0000]True.[/color]
  4. Whirling Chakram(WC from now on) works differently to the secondary skill Whirling Blades(WB from now on). WC spawns from the outer most layer moving towards the caster, and they come out in a single file. WB starts from caster, swirls to a wider diameter, and comes back to the caster, this produces 2 blades parallel to each other. WB is affected by Periphery, it has a chance to spawn WC.[color=#FF0000]True, WB for me, procs a lot, higher end of 80% at a guess[/color]
  5. When Periphery kicks in, there is a chance that 1-8(?)(Not sure it moves too fast to count, but 8 is my best guess) chakrams are produced with or without EAC! I have made a LIMITED test on the probability of chakrams produced, and it seems like the chance or producing 1 chakram to more chakrams decreases as the number of chakrams increases. And it doesnt seem like EAC has an effect on this either. Will perform more indepth tests this week and try to come up with a statistical analysis and possibly a formula. Going to try different levels of Periphery as well.[color=#FF0000]Im using level 5 Periphery 62.5% chance to spawn a WC on chakrams return. What I will say from the begining, even without EAC, it procs a LOT more than 62.5% ! (im sure over time, the percentage would level itself out and be much near to 62.5%)[/color]
  6. The Mirror Image’s chakram is not affected by the talent Clerity’s increased chakram return speed, and Periphery doesnt proc on it either.[color=#FF0000]True.[/color]

So my conclusion is, EAC is pretty useless for chakrams and Periphery. Mirror Image will not give you twice/thrice the killing power like it would if you were using SpellSword.[color=#FF0000]Sorry, I have to disagree here, EAC is very important, 1 extra chakram out, means one extra chakram to return, therefore 1 extra chance of a proc [/color]

Please post your observations and confirm if my observations are correct. Also is there someone out there who can test Multi-Attack? To see observation #2 and #3, try using Ascendent, it seriously makes everything easier to see.[color=#FF0000]Multi attack does not make any difference what so ever.[/color][/quote]

[color=#FF0000]Further to add :

Attack Speed and Celerity play a massive part, the faster you can fire out those chakrams, the faster they can return, and its the return that is what we are wanting.
Max out Boomerang as soon as possible, the added projectile speed is awesome.
Don’t allow any of your chakrams to go dead, by this I mean chakrams that are shot into walls or other objects like shrines will not allow your chakrams to return, so loss of proc chance.
[/color]

So, not to alarm anyone… but there was a slight bug with Periphery.

So you see… it never meant to spawn chakrams from the spawned chakrams. :smile:

There’s a potential issue with this when hitting 8 pieces of the set ( could crash the game ).

So while I won’t “fix the bug”, I’m addressing the potential issue of getting 100% chance to spawn a chakram by lowering the spawn chance on the set.

[quote=“JesteR”][color=#FF0000]Sorry, I have to disagree here, EAC is very important, 1 extra chakram out, means one extra chakram to return, therefore 1 extra chance of a proc [/color]
][/quote]
But whether or not i have Extra Attack Chance i only ever throw out 3 chakrams, and the chakrams dont seem to deal 2x damage or what. Unless i am really missing something here.

[quote=“SteigerBox”]So, not to alarm anyone… but there was a slight bug with Periphery.

So you see… it never meant to spawn chakrams from the spawned chakrams. :smile:

There’s a potential issue with this when hitting 8 pieces of the set ( could crash the game ).

So while I won’t “fix the bug”, I’m addressing the potential issue of getting 100% chance to spawn a chakram by lowering the spawn chance on the set.[/quote]
Oh so it was a bug? Lovely bug if you ask me, glad you wont “fix” it! Isnt the cap of set affixes at 5 now, so max we can attain is 62.5%?
Edit I just read a post about set afix, and i get how its possible to attain 100% now. Question now is, how much will the chance be decreased? I suggest turn the 12.5% to 10%? 8 Set affix will cap at 80%, and at total of +4 to set affix you get 50% chance.

Also the three chakrams issue, will this be fixed? As mentioned in my first post, i usually throw out 3 chakrams with a long boomerang press with or without Extra Attack Chance.

And lastly I believe Extra Attack doesnt work on chakrams, and jester says multi attack doesnt apply either. Is this intended or a bug? Coz i sure would love for it to work on chakrams.

[quote=“utakpulvoron”]
Oh so it was a bug? Lovely bug if you ask me, glad you wont “fix” it! Isnt the cap of set affixes at 5 now, so max we can attain is 62.5%? [/quote]
Set cap should be 8, so it was 100% max.

Haven’t seen this issue before, will try to reproduce

Extra Attack chance doesn’t work the same on Chakram as it does on other skills. Extra Attack chance just straight up boosts the damage of Chakram.

[quote=“SteigerBox”][quote=“utakpulvoron”]
Oh so it was a bug? Lovely bug if you ask me, glad you wont “fix” it! Isnt the cap of set affixes at 5 now, so max we can attain is 62.5%? [/quote]
Set cap should be 8, so it was 100% max.

Haven’t seen this issue before, will try to reproduce

Extra Attack chance doesn’t work the same on Chakram as it does on other skills. Extra Attack chance just straight up boosts the damage of Chakram.[/quote]
Just read a post about Set Affix caps, i understand your point now, but please dont let it be too drastic a drop :smile:

To see the three chakrams bug try getting a high enough Attack Speed boost, like 45%. And Ascendent skill so you can easily see the three chakrams. But i love it anyway, please dont take it away :frowning:

Okay so EAC works, but just differently? But EAC adds damage, and thats all that matters to me! Thanks for clearing that up!

I can’t get 3 chakrams without EAC, even with high attack speed :frowning:

Just tested it again, i still get 3 at 54.8% attack speed bonus. Have you tried using Ascendent to see it better?

Haven’t seen this one yet. I’m just throwing 2 chakrams w/ +2 EAC, Lv. 35 Celerity, max Attack Spd. and lv.20 Boomerang and Ascendent for better visual.

Haven’t seen this one yet. I’m just throwing 2 chakrams w/ +2 EAC, Lv. 35 Celerity, max Attack Spd. and lv.20 Boomerang and Ascendent for better visual.[/quote]

I just tested it again, 3 chakrams again. And i also tried using a mirror image, with whom the clerety has no effect. I actually got a screeny of the mirror image with 3 chakrams on the way back. I got the mirror image to do it as the chakrams move slower. Here you go.

s29.postimg.org/nsoocuqtj/Screen … _49_36.png

Also another observation, the mirror image can have 6+ chakrams out at one time. Apparently the mirror syncs the atk rate of the player, but since clerity doesnt affect the mirror image, it ends up throwing another set of chakrams before the first even get back.

wow, never knew this - i always use chakrams/vial…

also, 45% attk spd with ckakams is far from neccessary – 20% is more than sufficient, provided you have some celebrity (otherwise 30% is enough)

[quote=“Ircher”]wow, never knew this - i always use chakrams/vial…

also, 45% attk spd with ckakams is far from neccessary – 20% is more than sufficient, provided you have some celebrity (otherwise 30% is enough)[/quote]

20% atk speed bonus wont provide enough attack speed to throw out 3 chakrams. I just tried, +40% atkspeed produces 3 chakrams, +30% doesnt seem to produce extra chakrams anymore. Id drop attack speed bonus if it werent for the 3 chakrams bug(?).