Damage Formula Question(s)

So I am theorycrafting a build and trying to figure out whether Elemental Damage%, +Elemental Damage [flat], Weapon Damage% or +Weapon Damage [flat] is going to provide more overall damage… I’m also trying to figure out the relative value of things like Attack Speed versus Elemental Damage (% or flat) in other gear slots…

Is it possible to provide the damage formula in terms of what order bonuses are applied and whether certain %s are additive versus multiplicative?

From rough testing it SEEMS like the formula is essentially:

(((BWD*(1+WD%)) + (BWD*(1+ED%)) + ED + WD)*(1+WIQ))/AS

BWD = Base Weapon Damage - whatever the [average] damage of a weapon is at a given level with NO other modifiers (and at 0 WIQ)
WD% = Weapon Damage % affix on weapon – added if multiple (IE affix + mythstone)
ED% = Elemental Damage % across all gear IF weapon is that element – if from multiple sources
ED = Flat Elemental Damage across all gear (unclear if this ONLY adds if the weapon is that element? havent tested this much/at all)
WD = Flat Weapon Damage on weapon
WIQ = Weapon’s Item Quality
AS = Attacks per Second

If the above formula is correct, then it would mean that for most or all weapons (BWD 10k or less) that Flat Damage modifiers of ALL types (Weapon Damage and Elemental Damage) are superior to their % equivalents – 50% weapon damage (max for an epic affix) on top of a base 10k BWD adds 5k damage, which is also the cap on an epic WD affix. Similarly, 20% EWD would add a max of 2k damage on a 10k BWD and thus be explicitly inferior to either +5000 ED or WD.

If the formula instead is:

((((BWD*(1+WD%)) + WD)(1+ED%))(1+WIQ)))+ED)/AS

Then it would mean that maximizing WD and WD% (IE having both on weapon as well as socketing the WD% mythstone) is crucial to give you the most benefit from ED% elsewhere on your gear, while ED is inferior to the other affixes (and thus you would only use it if you already had WD, WD%, WD%-from-socket, and ED% on weapon, or already had ED% on other slots). Even in those limited situations Crit%, AS%, CritDmg%, DeadlyStrike, etc etc are all probably going to provide more overall dps.

Any confirmation on what the formula actually is? Specifically as to the order of operations (IE what is right or wrong about the example formulas above) as well as for ED% whether it is multiplicative versus additive (If I have 20% elemental damage on 2 pieces of armor, is my ED% 40% (20%+20%) or 44% (1.2*1.2)?

1 Like

I’ll answer this as soon as I have some free time to make sure I’m 100% correct. Then this formula will go into the upcoming in-game dictionary :smile:

[quote=“Zierham”]So I am theorycrafting a build and trying to figure out whether Elemental Damage%, +Elemental Damage [flat], Weapon Damage% or +Weapon Damage [flat] is going to provide more overall damage… I’m also trying to figure out the relative value of things like Attack Speed versus Elemental Damage (% or flat) in other gear slots…

Is it possible to provide the damage formula in terms of what order bonuses are applied and whether certain %s are additive versus multiplicative?

From rough testing it SEEMS like the formula is essentially:

(((BWD*(1+WD%)) + (BWD*(1+ED%)) + ED + WD)*(1+WIQ))/AS

BWD = Base Weapon Damage - whatever the [average] damage of a weapon is at a given level with NO other modifiers (and at 0 WIQ)
WD% = Weapon Damage % affix on weapon – added if multiple (IE affix + mythstone)
ED% = Elemental Damage % across all gear IF weapon is that element – if from multiple sources
ED = Flat Elemental Damage across all gear (unclear if this ONLY adds if the weapon is that element? havent tested this much/at all)
WD = Flat Weapon Damage on weapon
WIQ = Weapon’s Item Quality
AS = Attacks per Second

If the above formula is correct, then it would mean that for most or all weapons (BWD 10k or less) that Flat Damage modifiers of ALL types (Weapon Damage and Elemental Damage) are superior to their % equivalents – 50% weapon damage (max for an epic affix) on top of a base 10k BWD adds 5k damage, which is also the cap on an epic WD affix. Similarly, 20% EWD would add a max of 2k damage on a 10k BWD and thus be explicitly inferior to either +5000 ED or WD.

If the formula instead is:

((((BWD*(1+WD%)) + WD)(1+ED%))(1+WIQ)))+ED)/AS

Then it would mean that maximizing WD and WD% (IE having both on weapon as well as socketing the WD% mythstone) is crucial to give you the most benefit from ED% elsewhere on your gear, while ED is inferior to the other affixes (and thus you would only use it if you already had WD, WD%, WD%-from-socket, and ED% on weapon, or already had ED% on other slots). Even in those limited situations Crit%, AS%, CritDmg%, DeadlyStrike, etc etc are all probably going to provide more overall dps.

Any confirmation on what the formula actually is? Specifically as to the order of operations (IE what is right or wrong about the example formulas above) as well as for ED% whether it is multiplicative versus additive (If I have 20% elemental damage on 2 pieces of armor, is my ED% 40% (20%+20%) or 44% (1.2*1.2)?[/quote]

As I’m working on a database for the game, I asked Steiger this kind of formula few hours ago, he said he was working on it, plus you’re asking this also, so he’ll definitly provide you a clear answer, thanks for asking it too =)

You were very close with this.

It’s:
((((BWD*(1+WD%)(1+WIQ)) + WD)(1+ED%))))+ED)/AS

Ok, so I understand the formula, however, I personally don’t get the answer to OPS question. Which of the Dmg modifiers are more effective.

Hi there please refrain from posting on topics from more then 2 major number patches ago (2.2 and 2.1 in this case) we like too call it “necroposting” it just helps us keep things current and allows us to avoid confusion (don’t worry we don’t expect new comers to now immediately :wink:) :smile: as for the answer however here is a link to a post that goes over it all and should answer the question in detail Breaking down the DPS formula I hope you find what your looking for :smile: